Chiller question! Single or multi stage??

Hey friends! Trying to setup a chiller system. I might not have enough information here, but just asking more generalized questions.

If i need my solvent to be at -70c.

Does it make sense for me to just chill the room temperature solvent to -70 on a single chiller?

Is there options to chill to -20, then -40, then -80c?

Is there chillers designed specifically for different temperature ranges? As in, will one be more efficient from -40 to -80, where another would be better for -10 to -40?

I realize pumping is the extra variable I’m adding into this equation.

Thanks in advance!

Heres the skinny, single stage refrigeration systems are limited in the tempature range due to the refigerants used.

Yes, in some cases thats fine. Some people use ln2 in combination with a ultra low temp chiller.

Yes, sort of. The type of refrigeration system used is called a cascade system.In a cascade system there are two heat pumps, the first cools the second stage. By doing this they can employ the use of two different boiling refrigerants. The first stage uses a more commen refrigerant such as r-12 or r-134a. The second stage will run a much lower boiling point refrigerant. Without the first stage cooling the second the compressor wouldent be able to run due to the high pressures.

5 Likes

Cryodax look really good from the data sheets. Cheaper than Huber/Julabo, still not inexpensive. I think they’re dual stage.

This calculator will tell you which size you need based on your chilling volume.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CbJWWE0SYosnm66rVqMtla9lDFM2-lkr

Not affiliated with them, I just like their equipment and spent some time talking to the owner. They do good stuff.

2 Likes

i cant get the spreadsheet to load some values. i think it is trying to pull from an excel addon i dont have. any tips?

Did you enable macros? Is it the xlsm version? It works fine for me.
It won’t work if you’re trying to use it in the google sheets interface, google doesn’t parse custom macros/VBA very well. You’ll have to download it to your local machine and run it direct in excel.

I enabled macros and its i the xlsm version. maybe MAC related.

Relevant if you haven’t yet read thru it: Who sells huge cryo chillers that aren't huge disappointments?

I have been in talks with a few different companies including Mydax for quotes for something to take a descent quantity of ethanol to -50. No experience with an actual product yet. Also almost everybody I’ve talked to has 3+ month lead times from down payment.

Oh yeah it is probably a mac thing then. I’ve never done any VBA work on macs so I can’t help you there.

Thanks. Got it to work on PC.
Ive been comparing cryodax numbers against some julabo models. The speeds on the cryodax appear extremely faster since they have a higher heat transfer at on the warmer temps. For example the cryodax 30 has 25KW at -30 while a julabo 91 only has 11kw for 20 to -20. Will this make a major difference or is there something else that should be considered.

When comparing kW to kW at any given temperature, the more kW you have the faster it removes heat. Twice as many kW means twice as much/fast heat rejection. To a first approximation, anyways.

Of course, you need to compare not just kW but also price, and other intangibles like service. In my opinion the cryodax chillers are the best kW per dollar deal on the market right now, but some people love their Huber and Julabo chillers. I don’t personally own any of them yet, though my facility will have a number of cryodax units when it comes time to put my money where my mouth is.

1 Like

Curious what you are planning on for your process chiller to pair with the Cryodax chillers (and are you planning one process per cryodax or a larger process to multiple cryodax units?). As I’m to understand it all of the Cryodax lineup are liquid cooled and need process water for them to shed heat away to.