Chiller Hack (DIY)

Yahoo! :joy: as long as you don’t need an engineer to stamp it you’re probably fine :stuck_out_tongue: plus you can probably heat your house with the waste heat lol

2 Likes

Most chest freezers are around 500-1500 btu of heat removal they just don’t have any power to move a constant load heat. They are great for a few minutes of cooling but not a constant load. I don’t really know what a freezer would add to the equation. Other than a res.

2 Likes

Yea I have to use LN2 for pretty much all of our belt vacs save roto pumps Check your local college chemistry depts and see if they can get you a hook up to the source. Many use LN2 due to needs for NMR, Cold traps, glassblowing etc. we get a 1000L delivered every 3 or 4 days. never hurts to ask

4 Likes

There’s a bunch of the “portable” style AC units with higher BTUs on them. Is there any difference in efficiency?

See if you can find an eer rating this loosly approximates the AC efficiency but for our needs as chillers a 10eer vs 13 eer is negligible. I would honestly get the biggest btu for the cheapest price stay away from overly complex controls so you can hot wire your own controls to the unit.

5 Likes

Holy shit… There’s a lightly rusted 3 ton chiller on Craigslist for $100… I buy… Tomorrow… Holy shit…

5 Likes

You just put the ln2 in the condenser?

Put out good energy Get good back :joy:

3 Likes

No. Although I’m not clear on which type of condenser you’re asking about. Do you mean for the AC hack?

1 Like

The best DIY chiller setup in my mind would be using a 2 ton window ac and recharge with a lower BP refrigerant. this would net you better efficiency and lower temps at the evap coil. throw the evap coil in a 50-80 qt cooler and use an external 20-40psi diaphragm pump to recirculate the glycol without imparting its heat load to it.

Well most compressor’s can handle most refrigerant’s, it’s just a case of changing the oil in the compressor, EG: AB, POE ect…

I don’t think that you can use an R600 compressor with R290 though, with 600 being a low pressure gas and 290 being a high pressure gas, seing as your using a R22 compressor your good for nearly every refrigerant on the market.

I believe POE (Ester) oil is miscable with all refrigerant’s, and i’d be willing to be that your comressor is charged with POE.

7 Likes

No just like letting ln2 flow thru a condenser

not for glass but a Metal jacket or copper coil condenser would be more feasible just have to be aware that bare containers with no isolation is a terrible idea instant freezing on contact with skin. I’m trying to think about the application you looking for so I can be specific. CAuse, where my head is right not, is having a dewar designed to be submerged inside the cabinet chiller so whatever medium in use can flow through. the thickness of insulation at those spaces would have to be thick enough to not let the exchange of energy be so dramatic as freezing occurs as well as a pump to circulate the medium.

1 Like

when going with a lower bp refrigerant you will need a larger pump in the system, and the pressues will be loads higher than normal. Thats why cascade refrigeration systems are a thing.
check out 1234 yf, those systems have been know to burst under normal conditions.

2 Likes

i seem to remember r134a and even r410a systems we would recharge with r404 or r507 or even blended gases.

we would also braze in a Tee with a standpipe in it on the compressor discharge side to act as a “strain relief”.

this was back in 05-06 so my memory may be a bit fuzzy as to the details of these phase change coolers we were building for overclocking.

6 Likes

This would work if your compressor and metering device were up to snuff.

Can you tell me what model/make of your pump?

Can you elaborate? I need a solid cheap chiller ASAP - I can get liquid co2 and I have a nice SS coil- what parts am I looking at?

Thoughts on turning one of these way down?
Thinking remove the freeze sensors

Contact Danfoss, you need a thermal expansion valve.

5 Likes

@Paragon1

4 Likes