Chiller Hack (DIY)

how cold could u reach

I don’t remember exactly but it would regularly slush the pink rv antifreeze I used, so probably around +20f

2 Likes

the cool thing is its cheap chilling power and you could get a large window unit and not just some small uint and get some real chill on

2 Likes

A big ass used commercial ice machine is what we went to after this window shaker tek.

We converted it to direct refrigeration similar to the iced.tech chillers. Worked awesome.

4 Likes

I’ve managed to get one down to -26c I think?

2 Likes

-27.1C if you believe the pictures of Safety Third over here Suggestions for diy glycol chiller fluid? - #34 by cyclopath

3 Likes

My suggestion is to use a minisplit instead of an ac unit. It will be easier to put the coils where you want them and they will get a lot colder.

9 Likes

I’d like to see a mini split build.

5 Likes

It’s been on my list to contribute to the forum a -40C split system kludge system but I haven’t had a chance to put one together yet. I think it should be possible to do 2kw at -40 for under $2k but that’s just a guess

5 Likes

This guy did a pretty good job, I wish I had one built for myself to show off. :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

I have two 1 ton minis for sale. 800 each. NIB with line sets and power whips

https://iwae.com/shop/12k-btu-19-seer-mrcool-advantage-ductless-heat-pump-condenser-with-wifi-smart-kit-ha18424.html

1 ton units brand new $515. If its a mistake u better buy em while they’re listed :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

You can get new 1 ton mini-split units with line set for $400 shipped…

Link?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12000-BTU-Air-Conditioner-Mini-Split-AC-System-Ductless-COLD-ONLY-115V-60HZ/402542540034?hash=item5db967b502:g:MQYAAOSw6HdfqKMr

Here ya go :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What refrigerant did you end up using? The evap rest pressure is obviously a considerable concern. What type of geat exchanger did you utilize? Tube in shell?

Tyia

It was pretty simple. Just an immersion coil 60# tank, the txv from the ice machine, a set of ac lines to get it out of the room, and I believe 404a, which was in the ice machine before we hacked it. We just recharged it back to the previous pressures to compensate for a larger evaporator and longer refrigerant lines. We didn’t worry too much about all the technical mumbo jumbo lol.

4 Likes

an zen?

(how does it perform…)

1 Like

Pretty well for the times… 3-4 years ago. I have pics on my instagram of us injecting at -25C.

Probably could have gotten colder of we had the proper controls. BP of 404a is -40ish I think, so a tighter txv and/or a lower overall charge would’ve gotten us there, provided condenser size wasn’t the limiting factor. It was a very fun and satisfying hack. We used that system for probably 2 years before we went to a px1 hybrid system.

2 Likes

This may prove useful for folks performing similar tricks who find they need to spoof the temp sensor…

Cheaper than a Coolbot

2 Likes