Chiller Hack (DIY)

The chest freezer would need additional cooling on top of its small condenser. The heat load of most any extraction process quickly outpaces a chest freezers capacity. The real hack is adding a your own condensing unit with expansion coils in the glycoled freezer.

https://www.amazon.com/Tecumseh-Product-Co-AWA2479ZXDXC-2C2114-9/dp/B009PARE8C

1100w cooling capacity @ -40

6 Likes

There are units like that all over ebay for a few hundred bucks. Think they would work?

1 Like

Check the specs for cooling capacity to align it with your needs. Other than that you’d have to go off of the sellers word/reputation. If its new and from a reputable source you should be g2g.

The custom expansion side is the tougher part.

I dont have first hand experience with any of this, fyi.

1 Like

The expansion side is fairly easy to create.After you wind the coils for the evaporator you can fill the system with peg oil to measure the internal volume. From there you can calculate the charge weight. Orface sizing info can be found here

make sure your evaporator is slightly smaller than your condenser.

5 Likes

Do you have any pics of your system that uses this?

1 Like

There are 220-240 volt 15k-30k btu used ac’s cheap on craigslist. anyone here use a window unit to make a chiller for their rotovap? a 1hp water chiller is about 1500 bucks online with a heat removing capacity of about 7k btu/hr and a 1.5hp chiller is about 10.5k btu/hr.

I would imagine a person could build a large capacity chiller for under 500 bucks easily enough.

1 Refrigeration Ton = 12,000 BTU

How this relates to HP does cause a lot of confusion. It is true many people equate that 1 HP = 1 Ton, and this isn’t accurate.

Basically the colder you operate, or the lower your evaporator temperature on your refrigeration system, the lower your BTU/Hr Capacity is. Because of this it is impossible to directly correlate HP to Refrigeration Ton.

for example:

If you have a 5 HP refrigeration system operating under typical AC conditions (45F ET/130F CT/95F AMB), it will remove 56,000 BTU/HR, or 4.71 Refrigeration Tons.

This same 5 HP refrigeration system operating on a Brewery Chiller System (20F ET/120F CT/95F AMB) will remove 35,700 BTU/HR, or 2.98 Refrigeration tons.

So for an Air Conditioning project the 5 HP system has a 4.7 ton capacity, but for a lower temperature chiller application it will deliver less than 3 tons capacity.

5 Likes

Some more stuff from IG I’ve seen

8 Likes

Around here the 18k btu 7 to 8 amp draw 220v 10 eer rated used AC’s can be had for 100 bucks. Another 100 bucks in some plywood, a cooler, casters and hardware. then a 50 dollar 30-40 psi external self priming ( don’t want to use a submersible pump) 2gpm pump some tubing, pipe insulation then wire in a tstat of my own to remove the AC’s internal tstat

Mini Split / Ductless AC glycol chiller:

18 Likes

What model pump

How would I get on down to -30 and keep it ?

I need one that will do 100,000 btu

1 Like

@tweedledew

2 Likes

Oh sick thx

What’s the AC temp limited to? Couple Google articles say 16c is the low operating range?

I can’t remember off the top of my head what the low side operates at back in the overclocking days we built custom on-chip dies. The window AC unit would pump freon to the chip direct on die and it would get down around -30 to -40 we also swapped VR 410 with something else I can’t remember maybe 134.

This is mainly for a rotovap or distillation condenser not for creating ultra-low temperatures like a Cascade system would

2 Likes

Nice, I’m hoping to build myself a roto but falling film style. See if I can get 5-8LPH or something for $700 instead of $4000

6 Likes

Once you manually wire up the compressor hey DIY glycol chiller can get well below freezing

I’m probably just going to get myself a 2000 rodeo and build my own glycol chiller for it out of a window AC. A 2-ton window AC will have some serious fucking heat removal power. A 2-ton window AC could net you performance equivalent a 2-ton window AC could net you performance equivalent to maybe two and a half horsepower chiller

4 Likes

What about running a few of them in tandem? There’s a dozen 5-8k btu ones up for grabs for $50 on Craigslist

2 Likes

Keep an eye out I’ve seen a couple two ton 220v units for less than a hundred bucks near me and I’m in Maine so it’s a pretty dead market. I mean it will work but certainly won’t be as efficient

1 Like

Whoa. How does the “tonne” equate to BTUs? I feel like you’ve probably answered that somewhere lol