Cheapest spd pump

I have everything besides the correct pump. I have a bvv cold trap, deschem short path distilation column, 3 deschem 500ml flasks and deschem 250ml flask and a 3 way cow head w/vacuum port.

On a tight budget of 1,000$ so what vacuum pump would everyone suggest.

8 cfm minimum and a laboratory two stage rotary vane vacuüm pump
Not hvac
Second hand can be found or refurbiched
For decent prices No Need to buy new

4 Likes

@Roguelab I very much appreciate all the used stuff you’ve purchased at rock bottom prices that you’ve posted around here. :heart_eyes:

I’m going to guess that you’ve actually used hvac pumps. Not because they were the right tool, but because they were the only tool (i wonder sort of vac can I get with a big aspirator and a fire hydrant?).

I believe you’re saying the difference in functionality compared to the right tool more than is justifies the price difference.

Especially since a single successful run easily pays for the equipment.

3 Likes

Latest catch🤣

3 Likes

You can find used Edwards two stages sometimes. The downside is the oil mist filters and stuff are still never cheap. I’d trust a smaller older used Edwards pump over 80% of the alternative brands

E2m12 is pretty easily found used

1 Like

Which looks to be very similar to https://www.ebay.com/i/132261416472 except for the price point

What about Amazon.com

Only gets down to 26" Mercury. You need basically 30" or 50 micron min.

1 Like

28" hg 17 cfm

I always see welch duo seals used for pretty cheap online. How does everyone feel about those?

1 Like

I have a welch 1400 that will do 20 microns blanked off. I scored it new on ebay for 550 shipped. Its my backup pump now

I also have a used leybold trivac that i scored locally for 400. Pulls down to 5 microns blanked off. I used this one for my 1st spd run. Great low micron numbers.

I also have 2x kf25 exhaust filters i got on on ebay for 47 shipped. I didnt notice any odd smells while running.

2 Likes

Where u at? I got the hookup on rebuilt and used Pfeiffer alcatel and Edwards for around 1100. Last I was there they had a Edwards 50 for 4k. In so Csl

Are you sure?

Edwards E2M12

7.5 x 10 -4 torr = 0.00075 torr = 0.75 micron hg 0C

Double checking

1 x 10 -3 mbarr = 0.75 microns

Am I doing the math wrong? At 750 microns thc boils at 40C, which is how I’d set my vacuum pump regulator, water bath at 60c with ping pong balls to minimize evap, cooling water in the condenser at 20C. If you had ethanol in it you’d pull that off at a lower vacuum using the same buchi 20-40-60 rule

Hey I realized you were talking aboujr another pump sprry

Tou can get one from barbour freight it’ll only last a few runs but micron rating is whag toue lolking for. Check enay tou can always get alcatels for inder 1k or way less. Or nih one rhat needs rebuilt bwt it sirt cheap and then habe it rebuilt and voila refurbished oump for 70% of the usual cost.

4 Likes

Oh shit, I should buy that

3 Likes

I completely agree.

3 Likes

Use this pump myself , less than $300 t is14.5 cfm and works decent.

3 Likes

I would buy that of i didnt already have more vac pumps than most.

If your local to Detroit. I have a Welch 1402 and an edwards speedivac you could get for cheap!

1 Like

Will the pump in the eBay listing work on a 5L short path setup?

Also what else is needed to get that pump running since it comes with only what is show in the picture?

Never ran a short path before.