Cheap Vacuum Control Solutions

I was curious if anyone had a cheap (under $500) option to assist in automating the rotovape.
Only ones i find easily marketed is around 1,300 and that seems rediculous when its just a digital vacuum gauge, SSRelay, dials and some computer logic.
I tried wiring my own but cant get my ADS to read a proper voltage from the Digital Vacuum Guage, so i gave up on that and looking for something under $500

Might help

Are you trying to break vacuum to drain vessels automatically? Or you just want to control the vac depth?

Vac depth

1 Like

Manual vac valve and a micron meter on a separate hose so once set don t touch

1 Like

I just went to the ancient four letter auction site and searched for “buchi vacuum controller” and some pre owned units are in/close to your stated cost, here at least, some of the same ones are way way more. If you hunt a bit deals can be found. Near gear is nice, but often used gear is worth considering

2 Likes

Ty, im going to go with both solutions, the used buchi and try and configure a 901p sensor. Thank you guys for the help

I cant tell what you want really. Something to read for pressure levels to you or a way to control the vacuum levels or both?

1 Like

I wanted to keep a specified vaccuum depth over long periods of time with varying loads

I am not sure what loads mean but in my academic lab I use an old manometer mercury vacuum gauge that is pretty low tech and a old bunsen burner needle valve to bleed in air to control vacuum levels.

What i meant about varying loads, is that there might be alot of solvent evaporating or there might be very little but regardless i want it at a specific vaccumm level automatically without me adjusting anything

figure out how to make your own manometer with mercury and manostat with an adjustable needle valve.

Its a vacuum gauge it gives you the read out vapor pressure within your system, so it will give you a readout regardless of the load.

Im not looking for just a readout, my current setup is pump → needle valve → guage → cold trap → rotovape.
I dont want the pump sucking more than it needs to, so when there is nothing in the flask, the needle valve setup allows it to surpass the vaccum level i want. Then when different amount of liquid gets injected into the roto, the vaccumm level changes. Hopefully i can set up solenoid valves and relays to turn on the pump when needed and open the valves when needed

You want the Buchi controller. I used one for years in grad school. You can set it to a specified depth, start vacuum, and walk away knowing it won’t pull below your specified depth. Or you can manually adjust the depth until you have a good evaporation rate and walk away.

They do seem to be really expensive for what they are, but I don’t have experience with any other automatic controller so I can’t recommend anything else. Heidolph probably makes a similar device.

EDIT: Forgot to say this but make sure your pump is compatible with the controller. The controller I used clicked the pump on and off as needed to maintain vac depth. It’s possible that non-buchi diaphragm pumps don’t have the necessary connections for this type of control.

3 Likes