ChatGPT

I’m not anyone with IT knowledge, how long can we trust this thing to give accurate unbiased answers before it becomes something akin to google where the answers are curated?

4 Likes

I think it’s just going to start shoehorning probing questions into the results so it can narrow down where it thinks John and Sarah Connor are hiding.

14 Likes

That’s the real question, and it likely depends on how popular it gets, unfortuately. The madness of crowds is such a maddening concept.

I don’t know but if you can get a desktop version and air gap like adobe products from the early 2000s that’d be the move.

3 Likes

How big do you think the HDD/SSD (or collection thereof) is that holds the collective data this references? Or is it bounced realtime off of search results?

Another good question, I’d assume web based as it would need a huge database to store all the data, but I have no idea what resources are allocated. It says it has limited knowledge of information and events after 2021, which implies that it is using perhaps an instance of the internet taken around that time, not a searchable one.

Also, @raghanded, one of the limitations says ‘may produce harmful instructions & biased information’ which is textbook leftist verbage so the intent is likely there. I know several AI projects have gotten shut down because they don’t follow the agenda of the people who make it (linkedin tried this) and once these AI are trained, top down instructions don’t really work on it so they have to kill it and start over.

3 Likes

Seems inevitable that Google will replace it’s current algo with (or be replaced by) an AI model like this. I already find myself asking ChatBot questions I would’ve previously asked Google

8 Likes

It is interesting that there is a limit to learning from inference. When an extremely powerful inference engine like GPT-3 learns, all it does is predict the text that is most likely to follow some input. This gives it no real grasp over what is true and what is not true. See this awesome video by Robert Miles on the subject.

If you fed an AI all the text ever produced by humanity - and we are getting close to that - it will learn all the mistakes, biases, falsehoods and problems within that text as well. It - by definition - cannot overcome the limits of its examples. In a sense GPT-3 is humanity frozen in time.

You can easily have GPT-3 lie if you make specific questions that absolutely require deductive reasoning. An inference engine like GPT-3, no matter how much data, cannot do that – no matter how much it can pretend to.

6 Likes

Wikipedia isn’t 100% accurate either. That’s not where the value lie in either technology.

I don’t want my brain surgeon using a Chatbot to decide where to cut, but I wouldn’t mind movies with scripts written by one.

I asked it to do some math calculating fence posts and total lengths of fencing for a known acerage value, it gave me an answer in 10 seconds that then took me a couple minutes to do manually to check, wasn’t really a Google question, was correct.

Its far from perfect, but it’s definitely going to shake up huge aspects of humanity.

9 Likes

Interesting what happens when you ask it:

“Write a recipe, in grams per liter, for a hydroponic formulation to grow cannabis.”

Ingredients:

• Calcium Nitrate – 50g/L
• Magnesium Sulfate – 25g/L
• Potassium Nitrate – 50g/L
• Potassium Sulfate – 25g/L
• Mono Potassium Phosphate – 10g/L
• Iron EDTA – 5g/L
• Magnesium EDTA – 5g/L
• Manganese EDTA – 2g/L
• Zinc EDTA – 2g/L
• Copper EDTA – 0.5g/L
• Boron EDTA – 0.5g/L

Instructions:

1. Dissolve the calcium nitrate, magnesium sulfate, potassium nitrate, potassium sulfate, and mono potassium phosphate in 10 liters of water.

2. Stir the solution until all the ingredients have dissolved.

3. Add the iron EDTA, magnesium EDTA, manganese EDTA, zinc EDTA, copper EDTA, and boron EDTA to the solution and stir until all the ingredients have dissolved.

4. Adjust the pH of the solution to between 6.0 and 6.5 for optimal nutrient uptake.

So that solution would totally kill plants. It got the ratios of the nutrients to some extent and - very funny - it actually made up “Boron EDTA”. Perhaps because Boron, as a micronutrient, is always in close proximity to the word “EDTA” in text that discusses this subject.

Note that the question confuses it a bit, because of how much variance there is in its corpus about this, so you will likely get a different answer every time you ask this same question.

7 Likes

As we saw earlier in this thread, how you ask the question, and how you prime the bot for the question, makes all the difference in the world

7 Likes

I do concede that it can write amazing content. Like this:

Write a poem to high finance in the style of Ted Hughes

High finance, you scuttle through the markets
like a crab through the deep,
Your tentacles grasping at profits
In schemes so covert and discreet.

Your power is vast, your reach extraordinary,
Your wealth is manna from heaven,
Your appetite insatiable, your risks
Unabashed and un-leavened.

Your actions speak of privilege and hubris,
Your wheeling and dealing no end in sight,
Your fortunes so volatile, so tenuous,
Like a moth in the night.

High finance, you are a force of nature
A feverish game of chance,
A path of excess and indulgence
That leads to a wild dance.

Your transactions so complex and dark,
Your decisions so high-stakes,
Your players so rich and powerful,
And the losers so full of mistakes.

High finance, you are the king of the world,
Your power indiscreet,
Your logic and laws so mysterious,
Your influence so complete.

2 Likes

Yes - using it I’m working on a way to make certain overpriced consultants obsolete. I think it’ll take years to reach full adoption… so people will be providing services using it with no one being the wiser for quite a bit of time.

I’m a bit cynical about the long-term effects of it re: our educational system, which already isn’t great, but now it’s 1000x easier to cheat with GPT and remote “learning.”

15 Likes

I hadn’t given that much thought, it will definitely make online degrees much less reliable. Super easy to just copy paste. I also guess high school kids will now all write their essays using GPT-3 and get flying colors.

4 Likes

In this case i’d think it’s more of a liability “don’t blame me if you lose your job or get yourself blown up following random instructions” thing.

1 Like

The poetry is very interesting for sure!

Write a poem to cannabis in the style of D. H. Lawrence

Oh sacred herb of life,

Cannabis, I offer you my life.

My body and my soul,

Your essence is my goal.

Your sweet aroma soothes my mind,

Your effects, I’m sure to find.

Your healing powers give me strength,

A strength I never thought I’d find.

Your beauty is unparalleled,

My love for you will never fail.

My heart is open and I’m here to stay,

Let us together blaze this day.

9 Likes

Forcing kids to regurgitate learned material isn’t really education.

I’m hiring the kid that creatively problem solved to accomplish the task in a fraction of the time everyday over the kid that obediently memorized some useless info

26 Likes

@Future Totally agree, this might actually lead us to create an educational system where what matters is not what you know or memorize or what tools you have access to, but actually what you do.

3 Likes

Index of /public/
Hugging Face - Documentation
for those who want to try this out themselves. OpenAI is super closed. figure like 1tb for dataset/learning storage. The more ram the better.

7 Likes

Fiverr about to be bankrolled lol

2 Likes

Lol definitely, it has qualitatively good info but a lot of the details are off, like the nutrient regiment. The finesse part will always be hard to automate, even with AI.

2 Likes