Charcoal filtering

So we have a huge fridge. We put trim in dunk bags. Then we freeze it for 2 days. Then we dunk the bags for 45 mins in 100 percent ethanol. After we filter it with a wine filter. We dump fine charcoal in the mix and filter it again. Then we let it winterize for 2 to 3 days, at -10 degrees. Then we use a finer filter.After we roto vap and then short path.

We have had success in the past but the filters clog and it sometimes takes 8 hours to filter.

Basically I need to know a quicker way to turn the mix from green to orange/yellow so we can rotovap. Tried a buchner funnel and it works, but that takes triple the time.

Any insight would help us out. Is there any other methods or machines we could be using?

Also latley we have been having issues with filtering the charcoal out of it, to turn it from green to yellow. But its takes many passes threw the filter. But when we use buckets, it turns yellow in very few passes.

So I’m thinking since the barrel holds more then the bucket, the mix becomes very dense. And since it is too dense the charcoal will not combine with chlorophyll, so it won’t extract. Could the density be my problem here?

If you get colder and don’t leave it in as long it won’t pull as much color. And you could get you a charcoal inline cartridge filter instead of dumping it in it. Or get a big charcoal filter from moonshine distillers

How long should i dunk it then? And whats the minium tempurture i should have?

Well son… I’ve done it at freezing before with mixed results for 3min but I’m sure it left a lot behind if you get in the -40c range you can do around 10min

Well our freezer only goes to -10 celcius. How long would you dunk for that?

I would cool that low w the freezer then use dry ice to bring down to -40. If you don’t want to do that depends how best up ur material is and how much % of the good stuff but I’d say anywhere from 1-5 minutes

So with the dry ice should i stack it around the barrell? Its a plastic blue drum. How many blocks would i need to use?

That sucker will crack try a stainless steel bucket or barrel you can put it directly in it although I don’t. But for fast and easy carefully add dry ice to the ethanol unit temp is reached

1 Like

We should just dump dry ice into the ethanol?! Or should we put it in a plastic bag and put into the ethanol?

1 Like

Either or whatever way you want to

1 Like

So if i took a block of dry ice, and dump it into the ethanol, will it lower the proof of the ethanol?

Sorry if im asking a lot of questions, but your helping me out. Thanks

Break the block into small pieces and I’ve never heard it effects it. This forum is for questions quite alright

I highly recommend you read through this thread. Then read through the lost biologist thread. Then read through the EHO Color Remediation thread. Seems like what was once gospel with ethanol needing to be super chilled for decent color is in question with newer color remediation teks cleaning up room temp extracts. But starting super cold is a good place to start at this point. Personally, I have a feeling the correct answer is somewhere in the middle to optimize efficiency and color while keeping energy/expendable cost down. But I’m still very much in the experimental stages myself, so don’t listen to me quite yet.

3 Likes

dry ice comes in many shapes like rice and pellets you can probably find it locally check welding supply or gas companies.

1 Like

What wine filter do you use? And what kind/brand of carbon do you use? Do you use celite 545 on top of your filters?

20 min soak tops with agitation. My recommendation would to be to dump the wine filter and build a few 8” pressure filters. After you extract you want to filter right away through at least 20 micron to remove any plant material. After your first rough filter do your first winterization. -10c isn’t really going to cut it for winterization, I’d highly recommend dry ice or an ultra low freezer. Place tincture in 2-5gal glass carboys and place over a bed of dry ice burry carboys with dry ice let sit over night. The next day filter through celite and a 10-5 micron filter. Never let your winterized crude sit at room temp while you are filtering, keep it cold. You can do another winterization or go straight into color remediation. I like alumina oxide over a bed of celite with a 5micron then carbon over celite with a 5micron. Then do a T-5 scrub and let the mixture sit over night before filtering over Celite or T-5 with a 1 micron.

4 Likes

Do you find the alumina works for the orange colors?

No, I have not found a SOP for the reduction of orange color. Not yet at least still experimenting.

Don t put dry ice directly in your etho or biomass had a isomerization full blast deu to dry ice have the lab report to show iT to Will post that later

Natural bentonite neutral ph in boiling flask gets all red and orange out
But really check ph check ph check ph

I would also be careful with winterizing to cold, your thca/thc will bond with the fats you are trying to coagulate. I noticed this making dimonds… -20 to -30 is plenty cold enough to winterize. I prefer a regular freezer. If you not trying to crash thca. I from what i understand activated charcoal also tends to grab thca/thc. It works great though.