Changing from active to passive on my 15 lb system

Hey everyone , I have a custom system I put together my self . It a 15 lb closed loop its active recovery right now , I just grabbed a touch science 30/80 like brand new would like to know if it would better to go passive or keep my running my two cmep with jacketed coils ? My solvent tank is a 100 pounder
All knowledge is greatly appreciated

2 Likes

Changing from active to passive on my system was easy. I needed to increase my line size from 1/4 to 3/8 and take the pump out of the loop. Everything else stayed the same. I have a pair of tee fittings to use my TRS-21 at the end to bring the system back to vacuum. One is on my mole sieve and the other is on the inlet side of my cooling coil. I make my pour at about 2-5 psi. I run passive down to about 5-10 inches, but it needs the pump to get to the mid-20s. I stop there unless it’s the last run of the day. Then I try to let it go as deep as it can before giving up on getting the last bit of gas out of the system. If it’ll hold vacuum overnight, I figure that’s all I’m getting back.

3 Likes

What kind of heat exchanger you using for this? and do you have two separate chillers for the heat exchanger and solvent tank?

More then likely that will not handle the heat load. My rule of thumb is anything that is made for ultra low temps like -80c is not built to handle high loads.

On all the chiller ran passive systems iv operated there is 1-2 high load -10c chillers right after the sieve and then there is a final -60c after that as a second stage or chills the solvent tank itself.

What is cooling your jacketed coils? That chiller? @Backyard_Boy

1 Like

Well I’ve seen alot of people running it straight from collection vessel to solvent tank for passive recovery . But I’ve had jacketed coils but haven’t been using them and normally I ran dry ice but got this chiller and want to put it to use was gonna use it for my jacketed material columns but then just figured I would try some passive r&d with this chiller and I’ve heard of people keeping there chillers at -40 for passive on there solvent tank and running directly in but I do have some heat exchangers as well if necessary.

I highly recommend some sort of condenser prior to your solvent tank. Ran both ways, not even comparable…

I only have one chiller and if I run coil then I’d have to use dry ice and then coil will be colder then my solvent tank so I guess I’ll keep active for another week and get another chiller

Chill your solvent tank and pull vac on it before starting your recovery. It wont matter that your coils are colder because your solvent tank will be at vac the whole recovery…the coil will actually help keep your solvent tanks temp down and help keep it at vac due to how cold the incoming butane is.

3 Likes

I’m basically wanting to switch my passive system using dry ice to a passive system with chillers and get rid of the dry ice completely. While trying to keep the speed close to 2lbs per minute

lots-o-cash

1 Like

So not possible with a 50/80 Touchscience chiller? And def not possible with a 30/80? Seems like the math of the kw @ -60 would work on one of those 50/80s?

Completely possible with your chiller. Did you get set up?

1 Like