Certain company terpenes make my distillate darker

Quick question for y’all, so I recently got some terpenes from a certain company and when I mix it with disty when it’s heated the disty turns darker and it only happens with this one particular companies Terpenes. I have plenty of terpenes from various companies and never had this happen, could this possibly mean the terpenes themself are cut or have some type of unwanted ingredients ?

2 Likes

What company?

1 Like

What color are the terpenes before going in? what terpenes are they? and what company?

These are questions that help give a good answer.

5 Likes

The terpenes are clear and they are from gold coast terpenes it’s the Girl Scout cookie terpenes and sour diesel terpenes

I have distillate with them added and noticed nothing. Oxidation?

3 Likes

I also have both of those, and have had no problems when I add either of them to CBD or THC disty.?

3 Likes

What temps are you mixing at and for how long?

I just made a batch of carts with their purple punch. The color of the Terps were a light beer color. I made 60 carts, 6 terpene flavors. 5 were floraplex, 1 was gold coast. Only the gold coast had a color.

All Terps are always stored in 73-78* dark spot in my basement. And always in a ziplock in a ziplock in 2 more zip lock bags.

Did mix up less of the Gold Coast material compared to other flavors?

Do you have photos of a good cart and bad one?

Who is your post directed at?

If me
I dont change my cart sop. Always the same steps.

this can happen. i had old bottle of zkittles from big terp company. it was slighty yellowish instead clear after adding to the carts it looked almost pink. terp oxidation?

2 Likes

A lot of those sweet grape/cherry esters can turn pink over time. Definitely gonna happen with a flavored Zkittlez.

Not all terpene isolates are clear. Most of the cheapest ones are like limonene, pinene, etc are so a basic blend of monoterps will stay clear (kind of like steam distilled canna terps) but I’ve never found water clear to equate to better. Much the opposite personally. Little tint of yellow is fine.

2 Likes

I have 30 terp profiles. I’ve only noticed the PP had color. All others are clear

2 Likes

was from floraplex ive had since they sent out what 2 yrs ago. the free samples when they first got here

This is an issue we have been noticing. Certain terps seem to give our d8 carts certain hues different from the color of the oil being mixed. Some like Purple Punch and Maui’s come out dark orange almost amber and looks almost like D9 distillate. I have witnesses this phenomenon change from a few factors. Oxidation is huge for distillates. When I melt the top portion that is oxidized the oil is naturally darker and seems to make the color change from the terps more noticeable. Other terps don’t change the color at all and leave our oil a nice very light gold color. Heating your distillate when mixing terps will DEFINITELY provide a noticeable change in color. I only say issue because we sell two types of oil at two different prices. Our water clear d8 is cheaper as it’s lower potency, and our high potency oil is light gold but can look clear with certain terps. When we send out different strains of our high potency carts we’ve had some customers speculate on Reddit that we use our lower quality oil on our Banana zkittles when is just the terps not darkening the oil like other strains

1 Like

I’m using cat3 D9 but I do heat it

1 Like

idk how one would properly mix without heat!

2 Likes

I just bought half a gallon of terps am I fucked? Will my distillate turn dark ?

How dark does it turn it ?