Centrifuge not separating terps fully

I recently received my fuge and fritted tubes from amazon… I spun 60gs total 10 gs of 6 different strains in each tube of FF LR for 2 hours at 4k rpm.
My question is, not all of the tubes separated fully, what is the reason for this ??
I ran it for 1 hour take saw not enough separation so I ran for the 2nd hour.
I only had 1 tube fully seperate the rest were partial.

The tube on the left isn’t fully separated, the tube on the right is and i have separated the terps and thca already

This tube is slightly separated

2 Likes

Well you have 6 different strains of 6 different inputs, so you are comparing apples :apple: to oranges :tangerine:.
Not all strains you produce of hash rosin will have identical percentages of different phytochemicals components.
Instead of having all of one strain in one tube, have two tubes of the same strain (5g each), that way you can place them in the fuge opposite of each other and not only have similar weight but similar composition as well.

7 Likes

Which fuge are you using?

LD-3 off of amazon

Idk why that didn’t cross my mind when using different strains. Would i need to fill
the other 4 tubes with an even amount of water ?? Or would i just spin the fuge with only 2 tubes inserted ? I read somewhere someone just filled with water in all the other tubes to balance weight.

Warm the tubes up before you spin them, it’ll help the HT be more mobile. If you can put the centrifuge in a warm area, that will help too. Centrifugal force creates heat, if you put it in a warm environment, it’ll work more efficiently.

4 Likes

That filter runs a .45 micron. Any fine thca is gonna blind the filter. Stir and keep going

5 Likes

There needs to be an even number of tubes in the fuge, meaning there should at most be one tube filled with water. Personally I fill the tube with whatever nuts/bolts/prescription medication is lying around, but water should work well too

2 tubes would be fine. That’s still balanced

2 Likes

The problem with using water, or nuts and bolts, is the density and ability to pass through the filter are both wrong.

Tubes may weight the same, but the spacial distribution is going to be wrong. Mass counts more at the bottom of a swinging bucket because the swing is greater.

Split it between two tubes.

You also don’t (necessarily) have run an even number of tubes, so long as they balance. A six space rotor can absolutely be run with three tubes in it (2,3,4 or 6).

An 18 space rotor can be loaded 2,3,4,6,8,9,10,12,14,15,16 or 18.

…and to be clear, the real problem with spinning six different consistencies is that some will take longer than others (if over-night doesn’t solve it, I generally move on)…if some have more hte and others have more thca, the distribution in the tube might be skewed enough to cause problems.

The last set of screens I busted were from a batch that had more thca than usual, so the screens were subjected to more force for longer. We turned the speed down 20% and haven’t run into it again.

10 Likes

With the fuge he’s using especially. A little wobble and the brushes will be shot in no time

5 Likes

Use ice instead of water, maybe 30% will melt by the time the run is done lol but yeah, special distribution will be off with different consistencies of oil as well

I’m trying to keep the wobble to a minimum. I have 3 tubes that didn’t fully seperate thet all
look very similar in separation so they are spinning right now. Once they are done I have 2 more tubes that look similar in separation im going to spin. Will report back with results.

3 Likes

Temp? Room temp can remove monoterpenoids, but if temp is too low the sesquiterpenoids may flow slower

2 Likes

i don’t think the room is too cold.
After a few more spins i wasn’t able to get them all completely separated… almost! I know
next time not to mid strains and only
stick to one strain at a time. I plan to add all terps back to the original jars and melt the thca down for carts.

https://www.amazon.com/Benchtop-Centrifuge-Electric-centrifuge-Operation/dp/B0B4J4XQCQ

I see there a few different versions, are they all essentially the same? Do they come with the filter tubes or do I have to buy micron-specific ones separately?

Would you recommend a higher rpm than 4000

Spin it longer

1 Like

Get a centrifuge and tubes that will allow you to spin it faster.

Any examples in the sub $600 range?