Centrifugal distillation / molecular

Does Myers even exist anymore? I have been trying to call or email them for over a week now and heard nary a response.

Havent tried one, heard of some folks using it, with some success. A recent look at their website a few months ago showed they are advertising for application in canna now… Its a cool design, I could see it working well with diffpump, preheater (not feed flask heat, but preheat to get feed up to 5deg away from evap temp). Also the potential for modifying the surface of the evap disk/cone to increase surface area and maybe even to promote more mixing in the film is very attractive to me. I imagine Myers has been the patent holder of the OG patents for this design, but wonder how much of it is actually in the public domain today… Maybe its best use is for first pass instead of second pass, maybe its best for a final high purity deep cut to get from 90% to +95% THC…wish I had one in the lab to toy around with. Surprised I (or any of us) havent heard more about their use distiling cannabinoids…good or bad. Now that hemp is legal to ship, someone should send Myers toll processing partner some crude and see what happens…

Your forgetting a few others :grin:

Actually Myers does not own this concept and there are other people making them. For instance Ulvac has a unit. I would love to compare them but I can’t get past voicemail which alone kind of gives me hesitance about myers, even thought the concept seems great.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for that detail, Ima look deeper

I specifically listed AL because they’re the best.

FFS, they designed the first continuous centrifuge in 1893. I’ve been working all week with one of their service reps putting together a 10,000 liter per hour continuous centrifuge.

Best piece of equipment I have EVER worked with.

Alfa Laval is the only one I intended to mention.

5 Likes

I can not agree more once size comes into play Alfa laval is king
I worked with them to see the possibility of changing a biomass dissolver with water being the solvent to change it to ethanol and man they where GOOD
The team I worked with really went the extra mile at very fair prices

2 Likes

There is a Meyers unit I played with for a day connecting it to diff stack 710 ISO and didn’t t work it could not hold deep vacuum
I was warned before hand that spinning cones and Meyers centrifugal distillation unit could not hold that deep vacuum the unit was old but fully operational but never got her down well

1 Like

Did you ever actually run oil through it? I did talk to to a lab recently that said they have dozens of their pilot units as well as industrial size ones and were looking to get into toll distillation (they usually work in other industries). So I take it they must work well for at least some things.

1 Like

No microns didn’t t go low enough
Oil difstak was to precious :pensive:
If I remember well around 450 mic

Talking about koolaid drinking…

Individual have knowledge, not nations.

Tell that to the United States’ CIA…

3 Likes

Was this in New York State ?
Same sort of story it was a Kambucha factory that the used the spinning cones for and offering to toll for distillate
The Meyers unit was next door used in novel foods sector but in veign
Nice tech thou and if able to work under deep vacuum very interesting

No it wasn’t. The people i talked to were in Minnesota.

On the plus side, unlike myers, Ulvac responded to me immediately. So maybe I’ll have more info soon.

1 Like

Ive been able to get my hands on a quite a few Israeli papers.

@TheGratefulPhil…I really wish i could take that as a joke… :joy:

Alfa Laval is amazing. However this company has piqued my interest as of late…i hear they have had machines operating for 30 years and never once broken :laughing:

2 Likes

Boy that is probably the snazziest commercial I’ve ever seen for scientific equipment. I feel like most of the centrifuge companies I’ve seen make fantastic equipment.

1 Like

Their music samples are wild. Beginning sounds like the matrix and I think around the middle I heard jaws

That’s funny, cause the exact separation demonstrated in the video was invented by Alfa Laval a century ago.

I’ll stick with the company that:

1. Originally Designed the Technology
  2. Provides Material of Origin Certificates
  3. Provides Pharmaceutical Grade Elastomer
  4. Has a team of 20,000+ Employees
  5. Is better than any other company that manufactures this technology and has been since inception.

Go head and spend your money elsewhere, I hope it’s even better than AL’s stuff—but as someone who applies these systems daily in pharmaceutical manufacturing at pretty much all scales, I’ll stick with my experience and quality over some company who had to steal tech to make a buck!

Love, Phil

3 Likes

I don’t come on this forum to put people down. Im confused why when I read this reply it gives me such a sour taste in my mouth. The whole point of this forum is to exchange information and learn. Really amazing that you do well in Pharma! I’m very happy for you!

Brochure-2017.pdf (3.9 MB)
gr-suppliers-general-data.pdf (221.8 KB)

That logic makes no sense to me with all due respect. That is like saying you’ll only buy Ford cars because they were pumping out Model Ts 100 years ago. Usually a little competition between companies makes them all do better while if there’s only one they have little incentive to keep improving.

I am curious if you apply this same line of thinking to your daily life. When you buy a car, AC unit, refrigerator, television, etc, do you hunt down the company that was the first one to go with that design style and then only buy from them? Or do you do what seems to me to be the logical thing, compare specs and pick out the one that looks best?

1 Like