Celite 545

Can anyone tell me what micron you would consider a celite cake to be? Maybe a 1” thick cake, if that matters?

1 Like

Anyone?

Its supposed to be a catch all. I would NOT rely on just the celite. I consider 1 micron to be a must after the 5 mic plate. just my personal standards. lots of redundancy. low mic. essentially assume there is no celite …

2 Likes

I’m not, I use paper. I’m just wondering if you could quantity the level of filtration you get from a celite cake into microns.

A 1" bed will filter ac fines on top of a fritted disc buchner funnel.

That’s literally exactly what I’m doing and using. Lol.

I have 500ml, 600ml, 1000ml fritted disc buchner funnels. I always do a 2" celite 545 cake. I do not get any fines from my trim washes.

I pull vac at -26.5 on the dial with a welch 2252 diaphram vacuum pump. Could be +/-

2 Likes

So I’m truly just wondering if you can associate a micron number to what you get from running through a celite cake. Purely for my own curiosity

2 Likes

How fine are ac fines? That may be another avenue to ask about. Since the Celite stoped them all when I cleaned up some nasty green etoh.

1 Like

I actually tried to find any kind of reference for this, and all I could find was the particle size of celite, which is 17-25 microns.

You got me curious as well, but I came up empty handed.

1 Like

I mean nothing gets by the celite cake. 17-25 microns makes sense for the particle size but once wet packed into a filter that cake is super denser. I had a hard time even formulating this question.

4 Likes

Yeah, if I remember correct, it’s from the structure of it, it kind of locks together and acts like a lattice?

I did have to re-read your op, at first I was like, I know fickle knows particle size. Then I reread the question and understood what your asking.

1 Like

Lmao. Thanks bro!

1 Like

I think you asked a question that cannot be easily answered!!

I’m digging through all the datasheets I can find and not finding anything regarding this info, it’s killing me lol.

Now that I can’t find the answer, of course I have to know.

2 Likes

I’ve been digging as well and just can’t find anything. Maybe we need one of the many people who is way smarter than myself on here for some input??

1 Like

Agreed, this one is over my head fer sure. That’s not saying a whole lot though!

1 Like

Were in the same boat for sure. Lol

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s the structure that makes it effective for holding back carbon. The porosity of the particles in DE or celite trap particles that can typically pass a paper filter. The catch is you should wash the stuff over a sintered plate so that the smaller particles come through. Then add your filter stack and run your crc as it is more for catching rogue celite but also acts as a catch all for any mediums that can bypass the celite (which is pre wet /rinsed should be basically nada)

1 Like

So if celite can catch what a paper filter can not, what micron would you consider it to be? That’s really what I’m after

1 Like

Yall welcome🤙🏼

Celite grading etc

9 Likes