CDL says someone already bought a vac filter press for hemp, was it one of you?

I’ve been looking for a better winterization solution, our single 180mm Buchner is easily the biggest bottleneck in my production line right now. I’ve started breaking down all the comparisons, Pros/Cons, everything I can for a 50L Lab1st vac strainer, Filter press (like the Summit PIG,) and a sock filter w/ diaphragm pump setups. While looking at the Lab1st strainers I came across this:

the 18" model is a roughly 16.875" ring that is clamped down onto the top with about .5" of space to the top edge, so they confirmed a 450mm (17.71") filter paper should work on it no problem. I personally like the CDL design a lot more than the Lab1st model since it no glass and can sit flat on a tabletop, and its 40% the price.

The customer service rep said they have sold a couple to CBD and MMJ guys, any of those buyers on here? If so, what’s your experience with it?

1 Like

Are you using a vacuum to pull thru your buchner? Are you using nitrogen to push the solution?

Currently we’re using vacuum filtration through a buchner. Our county may not allow us to use positive pressure without using a UL-listed setup, so we’re keeping options open for both positive and negative pressure. I’m hoping that this may be a top option if we have to go with negative pressure

Ul is only required for the pneumatic compressor. Analog functioning devices don’t require electronics certifications.

1 Like

This is actually pretty cool if you don’t need a closed system. How much are they asking for the 18"? Make sure to ask what material the sight glass tube is made of and check for chemical compatibility.

Contact Heyes and get yourself a 12, or 16" diameter lenticular filter.

3 Likes

I’d suggest getting a buchner with a lid that can be connected to nitrogen and push it.

@spdking My understanding is that they don’t approve anything using positive pressure in our industry that isn’t a reviewed turnkey setup. Maybe not specifically UL, but must be independently reviewed by an engineer and still may not be approved. I’m also told they’re not the most educated or rational when it comes to equipment review, so I want to make sure to have other options available.

@cannabuilder Good call on the sight glass, if we end up choosing this option I’ll definitely ask. Its about $1380 for the 18" unit.

@Soxhlet I have not started breaking down pricing and capacity for lenticulars yet, they’re next on my list for today. I’ll check out Heyes, thanks for the recommendation!

@Terpdude We’d love to use positive pressure, but like I said before our county may not allow it. This is a backup option we’re looking at in case they decide they won’t approve it.

2 Likes

If your county barfs at using an off the shelf lenticular filter in a manner consistent with the OEM’s instructions, you might consider moving…

Using vac you’ve only got 14-15psi pressure differential to work with…and once you’re in that range you’re starting to evaporate your solvent.

Pushing gives you access to much more motive force, AND keeps more of your solvent liquid.

3 Likes

We’ll move if it becomes a big enough issue, we’re a smaller facility though so the loss in value per day for vacuum vs N2 setups is definitely less than many other larger operations. Personally I feel like lenticular filters and sock filters are simple enough operations that they hopefully will approve them, the few times we have used positive pressure with nitrogen its a night-and-day difference. I’m hoping someone may have used this CDL filter before just for feedback as another option.

What about using a pump to supply positive pressure liquid to the filter?
What part of the world are you in?