CBN's boiling point

Like the topic says what is the boiling point of CBN?

I did a quick google search and 185C popped up, but that got me thinking…

How is the boiling point of CBN higher than thc when CBN is infact lighter than thc?

THC’s molecular weight is 314 CBN’s is 310 which makes sense since you make cbn from thc by pulling 4 hydrogens

Heres a cool little chart I found on 710 spirits

Not saying this is accurate

1 Like

Pi-stacking could lead to stronger intermolecular forces. I would try and independently verify the BP though.

7 Likes

There were some students at university of Colorado who independently tested every physical property of like almost every phytocannabinoid. I remember seeing something about it on IG but I have no idea where because sometimes I smoke weed and forget things

7 Likes

But yeah there are a lot of other properties and intermolecular forces that dictate boiling point. It’s not just a factor of molecular weight, there are many more variables are at play.

5 Likes

1 Like

It s defenatly higher than thc
Not a lot but higher I can isolate cbn in tales and have almost all thc in mains
Thc in tales is about 4%
Cbn is around 60%

4 Likes

365f is 185c

That’s right around the temp it came over at

https://www.instagram.com/p/B558H8IB3yB/?igshid=1ai1y9edi16ci

1 Like

At what vac level ?

If Mechoulam reported in 1964 that the boiling point of ∆9-THC is 155C at 50mTorr then the boiling point of CBN as reported by the US National Toxicology Lab of 185C at 50mTorr is much higher.

And do remember that boiling points are determined by pure compounds in a strict fashion whereas in distillation type separations in this industry, especially pushing vertical on a short path, there will be a mixing of vapor phases.

3 Likes

Nicely done, I look forward to the analytics on this batch. I’ve reached 80% CBN on a traditional short path.

1 Like

I was doing a run the other day and thinking about all this while watching the vapors fill the cow after HCT.

I could be incorrect about this but It seems that if running a short path we could run a single or series of condensers at various temps after the short path head to achieve a fractional condensation. It was stated earlier in this thread that bp is function of a multitude of factors but condensation could be fractioned by adding more plates after the vapor passes through the first hot condenser. From my observation I noted that while I had a condensed cannabinoid I also had a vapor which should be able to be passed through the cow and into another plate, cooled to it’s condensation point and collected. Is this the correct line of thought?

Also, why is it recommended to decarb before running? Is it due to the bubbling in the BF? Because with the BP of the acidic compounds being so much lower wouldn’t it be possible to separate them from the other compounds?

1 Like

Oh man. Please tell me how? I’m struggling in a short pass to separate THC from CBN. I’m carrying CBN into THC distillate using 165C evaporator.

Have your coa of input material and this will give an estimate of cbn amount
Once close to the volume of thc in the receiving flask you start to dwell or turn down mantel temp and prepare to swap flask
If swapping flask is not an option for not having a cow or stop early by making sure the bf is pulled out of the mantel so cooling starts ASAP or raise condensor to 200
Make sure your hoses can Handel that temp
Collect all tails or bf lefties until sufficient for a singel run

Short path will not separate such close boiling compounds down to non detect. When you distill you collect temperature fractions that are composed of compounds of similar boiling point. Not to say you can’t enrich a fraction with higher THC or CBN if you’re real methodical, but I’m doubtful you’ll ever perform a complete separation of the two this way.

4 Likes

You can get cbn out of the thc fraction
But NOT the thc outing the cbn fraqtion

1 Like

FYI: it’s not so much about molecular weight

2 Likes