CBN creating

Not having to deal with procuring list 1 chemicals would be the primary reason. I’m really just spitballing for other ways to speed up the oxidation of THC to CBN. Obviously an oxidizing agent like iodine works. I’m just curious as to what others may also work.

Come to think of it though, I do have a friend I could probably run this problem by. Getting around silly government restrictions on regulated chemicals by either finding another synthesis route or making his own used to be how he maintained his freedom back in his cowboy days, so this is probably right up his alley. I’ll report back if he has any useful input.

3 Likes

Off the top of my head, potassium permanganate may be a suitable substitute for iodine.

18 Likes

PP is usually put into an aqueous solution I think isn’t it? I’m wondering what chemical reaction that would have with the distillate/crude (other than oxidation) and if some further wash would be required as a result.

1 Like

These are the results from my experiment with readily available chemicals. I didn’t expect much but wanted a baseline to see how effective the reaction was.

This was a simple reflux reaction using 190 proof ethyl alcohol and a water iodine solution. The mantle was heated to 110c and held for 10 minutes before allowing to cool slowly over 8 hours. The recovered ethyl was purple and the oil had a very strong aroma of chloride. The reacted oil was washed with 3% hydrogen peroxide.

The results were interesting, but not the target compound.

7 Likes

Here’s the result from toluene/iodine when your operator refluxes 3-4x too long…

Started at high-60s/low-70s CBD distillate.

If you look at the structure difference between CBN and CBC it kind of makes sense. I hate unknowns though.

9 Likes

If either of you are in the Denver area, I can provide some guidance on accessing CBN. I have some free time while waiting to defend my thesis.

10 Likes

Carbon Chemistry is based in Denver but I live in COS. Generating CBN is a pet project I would like to get help with. @anon93688

7 Likes

I am on the western slope buy travel to Denver regularly. I am will to provide starting material (CBS oil) and the iodine.

5 Likes

pm me so we can discuss in depth.

1 Like

@Shadownaught I highly recommend you get in touch with @anon93688

2 Likes

We just started talking! Smart individual for sure.

2 Likes

Carbonic acid washes ?
Can You explain why Carbonic acid ?
How would You do the washes ?
Where would You obtain the acid ?
What is your understanding from Carbonic acids correlation to CBN ?

1 Like

I think that’s often a result from throwing dry ice directly into ethanol for chilling

3 Likes

Yes i think thats what hè means
But hè somehow correlates that to creating CBN and that i wonder how and why that assumption :grinning:

Is iT a fact that dry ice direct in solvent/biomass creates isomerization/degradation of cannabinoids ?

1 Like

What did it do polymerize?

I was referring to weak carbon-containing acids such as citric, acetic, and oxalic acid. Carbonic acid as a by-product of dry ice would probably work also, but its gonna take a shit ton of dry ice.

2 Likes

Do you think a cannabinoid polymer would show as an unknown? Hadnt Thought of that.

When you look at CBN vs CBC, one looks isomerized and the other looks like its been torn apart. I was assuming too long of a reflux had degraded the cannabinoids.

2 Likes

Olefins, especially styrenes, are known to polymerize given enough heat energy. A polymerized cannabinoid would be more apparent on mass spec and NMR. MS would show a significant increase in mass and NMR would show the disappearance of the alkene signals and the integrations for protons would change as well.

As for CBD to CBC I don’t think that heat would degrade it to the point where you would lose 5 carbons. Who knows…radical propagation could cause anything to happen. Do you have any of that unknown? It would cool to separate, isolate, and see what you actually got via NMR and MS.

12 Likes

I have :grinning:
Last batch (small) Several things got lost
Pretty detailed sop on iT to
Send Some over Any time

3 Likes