CBG vs CBD Solubility in SC-CO2

What’s up Future. Ive searched around for this and only found answers that are much more technical than my comprehension.

The question is; Do CBD and CBG have different extraction “Points” in SC CO2? We recently got some of our 2020 CBG crop in (10% CBGa) and ran it on the same parameters we have been able to achieve 80%+ TAC with CBD material. Nothing changed but input material.

The raw crude was HEAVY in fats/waxes and yield was 1/10 of what we are used to based on CBD history. Tried both decarbed and non with same result.

Am I missing something on the CBG side or is it just an input material issue rather than extraction?

Apologies if this is a dumb question and TIA.

1 Like

When you use the term “SC” do you mean sub- or super-critical?

1 Like

Supercritical for this instance. We do operate right on the border of the 2 though.

I haven’t personally extracted CBG with CO2, but from my understanding the cannabinoids generally have pretty different solute points. As in, CBDa comes off easier than THCa, but is still more difficult than CBD, which is harder than THC. (When I say easier or harder I’m referencing how aggressive you have to make the CO2 via temp or pressure to pull the target compound in a timely manner.)

Depending on your parameters, you may want to increase either pressure, temp, time, or flow rate to increase your yields. If you want to ensure you’ve gotten all your target molecules, get your post extracted biomass tested.

2 Likes

Thats what i figured but its great to have it confirmed. It wouldn’t be fun if there was a one size fits all…

We have been slowly adjusting all of those variable with no real measurable success. If you were to choose one and run with it, which would it be?

1 Like

DM me your parameters, or post em. Hard to say without knowing that.

1 Like

has anyone followed up with this? I’m about to start an experiment to do this same thing, was curious what, if anything, was found.

Post from a while back with a table showing cannabinoid solubility in CO2 at various pressures/temperatures. Higher pressure and/or temperature required for decent CBG solubility.

2 Likes