CBG Hemp Rosin first go notes

What’s up y’all,

The other week I acquired an ounce of some beautiful Desert Snow high CBG hemp buds. It had a light floral and herby smell to it, but was a beautiful shade of bright lime green flower coated in frosty white trichs. It seriously looks like some top shelf flower, so I decided to press some.
I use a dulytek retrofit 3’ x 6’ Inch heat plates and a harbor freight 12 ton H frame press. I have done about 15 presses in the past 6 months, mostly with hemp, and have made some incredible rosin but with super low yields (6% lowest, averaging about 10% on hemp 15% on flower).

For this press i used

Strain: Desert Snow CBG Hemp
Bag: 120 micron
Weight: 8.2 grams in
Temp: 190° F first press, 210° F second press

Bag was stuffed as tightly as possible with stems pulled off of buds to reduce tears in the bag. I don’t have a mold so I stuff with a zippo that fits inside the bag perfectly and press down on the nugs and press the bag in between some textbooks before pre pressing on the plates.

The first press was unfortunately a colossal failure. I let the bag sit on the plates for a few minutes to heat up before the press. I then applied minimal pressure just to prepress the bag down to a flatter shape for 2 mins. I lightly applied pressure, taking about 10 seconds each crank of the hydraulic press, letting it sit for 20/30 seconds between every 3 cranks. I cranked the press about 10 times before it got difficult And twice with heavy resistance. Unfortunately I do not have a pressure gauge so I do not know what’s being exterted on the rosin, I’m aware this is a critical loss for me. But after about 6 minutes of pressing, the end result was nothing more than a few beads of oil on the paper too hoppy and liquid to be picked up by a dabber.

However I noticed a fair bit of oil was stuck to the bag and looked foreword to the second press. I’ve read that like CBD, cbg has higher boiling points than thc, so I cranked up the heat from 190 —> 210° and pressed it a bit faster and for longer. I definitely noticed a stronger aroma after a few minutes of pressing and got what looked like a higher yield ( but still VERY low for 8.2g). However, to my dismay, trying to scrape the rosin off the paper is near impossible. The cbg is much more liquidy than anything I have dealt with and just sticks to the paper when you try to scoop it up

I was a bit upset I wasn’t really even able to try any, but it’s my first time pressing cbg flower and I’m glad I had the learning experience. I have the COAs of the hemp I used if anyone is interested. I also made this post on my phone so please excuse any typos or whack formatting, I’ll take a look when I get back to my computer later today. Also if anyone has any advice as to how to get rosin to a more manageable consistency please let me know, it’s been a common problem I’ve been running into that greatly reduces the yields I’m able to get pressing on a smaller scale

1 Like

in my experience CBG flower rosin crashes out readily after pressing. Consistency is about that of tacky wood glue, and its a tan opaque. I used 210 degrees and no clue how much pressure as my press has no gauge. How confident are you that your flower is actually cbg?

2 Likes

I’m fairly certain but not 100% positive. It’s my first time with cbg hemp but I was sold it as such for the same price as regular CBD hemp.
It’s rich in trichomes with white frost on some buds and has a nice silvery gleam with flash on. It feels like more electrifying cbd, but not much of a noticeable effect.

I was given the COA, which I posted a pic of. The only thing is this that’s weird to me is it just so happens to be the exact same cbg % as the first thing that pops up on a website when you type in cbg hemp.

Soooo either it’s cbg and they sent me a random coa, or it just so happens to be the same batch as this, although I got it for a lower price than the website lists. But it does look pretty damn similar to the picture on the coa and website. It’s hard to tell for sure

CBG flower produces a stupid amount of kief when you break it up. The amount of kief is significantly more than any hemp flower I’ve ever seen by a long shot so this should be a dead giveaway if it’s CBG or CBD. The kief sticks a bit differently and is lighter in color too.

I’m yet to see any CBG flower that held onto any moisture. Bone dry flower rarely yields well in a press. It does have a nice light color (light for flower rosin). Tacky, hard to collect consistency but I did like the smell/consistency. Haven’t got around to trying it yet though. I’d like to get some fresh frozen CBG flower overnighted to me since I think we will need to press bubble or dry sift for it to be worthwhile. I haven’t been pressing anything much lately

2 Likes

Then this is definitely CBG. That’s exactly how i would describe it, very bright frosty kief with very dry nugs that are firm yet brittle. ANd like you said, this hemp has a STUPID amount of kief on it, looks better than most bud in the area tbh. I posted a pic of it above and when the flash is on it has a silver glow to it. I noticed the nugs were dry but they had been vac sealed with a fresh moisture pack and had been sitting in there for about two weeks or so before i pressed.

Yeah that’s been the consensus with all of the CBG strains. Absurd amount of kief and it has a slightly different texture than normal. I’m curious what the trichome heads look like under a microscope.

There are some ways to rehydrate flower effectively before pressing but this did not give as substantial of an increase in yield as I am used to. I expected it to be a more sugary consistency based off of my understanding of CBG but my CBGa rosin has been more gooey. Does anyone know if CBGa doesn’t crystallize even though CBG does? Might be like CBD vs CBDa. I have not seen any hydrocarbon extracted CBGa concentrates (but if anyone reading this has made some, hit me up)

1 Like