CBG Extraction

Anyone have experience or advice with CBG extraction. Best methods solvents. Generally SOP.

4 Likes

Avoid heat as much as you can. It converts to other compounds really easily

2 Likes

Appreciate it. It seems to be a very finicky cannabinoid. And everything needs to Ben done quickly with it

1 Like

i wonder what my rosin has become then… Not enough to bother with testing, this was just some squished nug. Any data on the possible compouds created by heat?

1 Like

I’ve been working with CBG for a long time. Despite what people fear I have never seen any evidence that CBG converts to other Cannabinoids during normal extraction, distillation and isolation. This is an enzymatic assisted conversion in the plant. I have done hours-long open atmosphere decarb/residual solvent removal and run serial distillations using the same material going as high as 180C (100mTORR) and never seen CBG convert to other Cannabinoids. Without a serious pH shift or something even less common during extraction I wouldn’t worry about converting CBG.

The biggest challenges you’ll face will be its tendency to crystallize at all stages of processing. This can cause issues in a rotovap or FFE among other things.
You may need to make some small tweaks to the recrystallization process if you do that.
Otherwise it’s a very similar process to CBD. If you run it like it’s CBD and keep in mind what I said above, you should have no trouble producing pure CBG. I’m available for consults should you want a more in-person run through.

Also see:

9 Likes

Thank you. This is all extremely helpful. And will keep you in mind :pray:t2:

1 Like

so you have never seen cbga convert into cbg or cbd?

Decarboxylation sure, but not converting to other Cannabinoids.