CBDV Thoughts

Yo fam,

Wanted to see where y’all’s heads are at on CBDV. We’ve got about 12 acres of the crawford variety growing and I’m trying to see if anyone has any experience extracting it. I’m also curious what the hell people are using it for and what kind of extracts people are looking for. Any beta on this would be greatly appreciated, either way I’ll be extracting it in the next month or two…

Following.

We are going to be taking in a few hundred for CO2 extract and I’m curious if parameters will be far off from our usual.

I’ll be doing cryo-ethanol just to clarify.

Depends on your market for what kind of products you’re making. What ratio of CBD to CBDv? Because if it’s on the order of ~5-10% you’d probably just want to run that through a column (chromatography); then it’s less about the extraction and more about the post processing & purification. This is likely what you meant though, so if it’s on the low end that’s a route.

If you are getting to 25-40% or higher, you can probably use it for crystal-resistant distillate as it likely acts as crystal inhibitor. You’d still need to remediate THC, so chromatography again.

I’ve never worked with it personally, but as a product formulator there’s a lot of interesting properties that could make more interesting products; I like making crystal resistant, uncut CBD vape carts. But when it comes to the consumer side, most people are likely going to be like, CBDvhat? (German joke) At least in my market. If you have a more informed market, this may not apply, but confusing marketing is never good.

4 Likes

I’ll throw some ideas in:
Personally I’m looking forward to the CBDV flower and extracts.
CBDV isolate is already available and while we get a few enquiries the sale volumes are generally low or people don’t want to pay a premium unless they are doing real science with it.
So far I’m seeing flower CoAs with around 6-8% CBD, 6-8%CBDV and <0.3% THC, which means this flower is compliant.
As we start to see more awareness of flower compliance many brands will realise that most of their supposedly compliant flower is actually hot because they need to count THCA as well.
Choosing a CBG or CBDV flower avoids or reduces this issue, so I think we’ll see some migration to CBDV varieties (and CBG and other low THC varieties) simply to avoid hot flower
If the phenotypes and profiles of the first releases are good quality I expect we’ll see much more available next year.

I think the Crawfords have been smart about how they have staggered the release of their different cannabinoid cultivars (clearly they learnt a lot from the CBG release).
The science behind these plants is pretty amazing and really the big winner will be better quality cannabis simply because these breeding and improvement experiments can be done at agricultural scale instead of in someone’s basement. So we should see better plants, growth, plant and flower structure, cannabinoid and terpene profiles etc. It’s impossible to select/control for all of these at once unless you have the scale that is possible in hemp.
CBDV is already patented for epilepsy by GW Pharma and there is solid evidence for this, so it’s likely to be appealing to the true medical CBD users where CBD didn’t provide adequate control.
Likewise combing CBD and CBDV is likely to reduce total dose.
In terms of extraction and refinement CBDV seems to stick to CBD pretty well - it’s often the last detectable impurity in CBD isolate - so I expect it will coextract with CBD under normal parameters.
Separating the two will likely require chromatography or crystallisation.
CBDV oils are likely to have some THCV in them as well which has had a higher profile in the media and some unique effects, so I also think we’ll see more interest in this cannabinoid (and possibly in conversions of CBDV to THCV).
Because CBD:CBDV extacts will not crystallise they probably be great for vaping in a way that CBD extracts haven’t been.
There are already a few varin rich extracts on the market with around 50% CBD, 10-20% CBDV and 5-10% THCV and from what I’ve seen they are good for vaping and probably an appealing and natural combination of these cannabinoids, so that’s something to check out if you want to “try” a varin extract. @krinkle at lula often has some in stock.

5 Likes

I didn’t think of the crystal resistant aspect for vaping, god knows people are always hitting me up for crystal resistant distillate. Have you guys seen anyone advertising Full spectrum crude or distillate anywhere? Kinda just trying to get a gauge on the market so I can determine how much money to spend on harvesting it. I know CBG still commands a higher price as an extract and I’m kind of wondering where this is going to land. We all know CBG doesn’t move at high volumes, but it hasn’t depressed in the same way CBD has over the last 2+ years.

IMO CBDV is going to see the same curve as CBG and CBGA - starts out crazy overpriced 10x normal market. Sellers have invested in new technology etc to bring this to market and want an extra return.
They want to price it at the rare minor cannabinoid price even once they’re growing acres of the stuff.
The reality is hardly anybody wants CBG or CBDV. It’s a new category. Volume is negligible to start with.
The buyers who are keen to bring products to market either can’t afford to do it or overprice them as well.
Consumers see THC CBD they know and love, and minors they’ve never heard of that cost multiples of the known quantity.
The cannasseur type client who wants to try new things is tiny - and largely wants things on the verge of being unavailable or RC/grey market (eg: hot products, conversions, novel cannabinoids etc) - these are very hard segments to legally serve unless you are already well funded.
As a result these new cannabinoids risk “Failure to launch” unless they can get traction quickly.
Most of the big CBG growers didn’t sell most of their product - the demand wasn’t there at the price point they were expecting.

This is all normal new product market issues - the consumers who want to buy CBDV are an invisible tip on the left of the blue line at the moment.

How the producers respond will determine if it ever “crosses the chasm” to become a mainstream product not just one of hundreds of (to the consumer) similar products.

4 Likes

I’ll take 50 lbs of fresh frozen or fresh whole plant bucked

1 Like

Smoking research chemicals makes you a cannaseur?

1 Like

From my personal experiences you are correct. I am a seed grower and there is very little interest in my cbg seeds compared to my cbd seeds.

1 Like

You’re right - it’s an even more discrete market and is possibly a different market to the normal early adopter cannasseur type market - my point is it’s a tiny segment of a niche market.
The harder it is to find and define the harder it is to market the product - and thus the harder to get a return on large investments, even if the product itself is great and the innovation is real and meaningful.

1 Like

We are playing with CBDV strains with BHO extraction. Interested to see how it all turns out.

7 Likes

Me too

I popped some seeds from OregonCBD a few weeks back. I’m excited to see how they do indoors over the winter. May put out a small crop to send through my lab next year.

1 Like

Hey can I buy some off of you, Oregon won’t sell me less than 1,000. But I will pay 10x what you did for like 10.

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

I would, but they really frown upon distributing their seeds without their permission. I was able to buy 100 seeds for like 3$ a seed. Hit them up again they have finally dropped their minimums because of all the seed competition. They seem very fairly priced for all the work that went into their genetic lineup

They changed their sales model to include everyone I believe this is their new website for small orders https://gtrseeds.com/

2 Likes