CBD Wipe Film Parameters Help

Howdy everyone, I’m new to my wipe-film, and I wanted to ask about parameters for 2nd Pass distillation. my vacuum with diffusion pump sits around 0.20 Torr or 20 mTorr. I generally keep the feed at 115C, the external condenser at 172C, and the internal at 72C. The feed speed is at 200 rpm and the wipe is at 420 rpm.

I am noticing a low potency (percent concentration of CBD) as well as a disturbing reddish hue in my distillate. It is less gold than I would like and more of an amber gold to dark amber gold.

Is there anyone here who could help me on this endeavor? I have been thinking about increasing the internal condenser temperature to 85C (closer to a hot condenser method), but would this alleviate the condensation of some of the dark fraction condensing in with the distallate?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Check out this thread if you haven’t yet

Red hue sounds like terps. Make sure that first pass is getting all those out.

I thought it may be head fractions collecting in the internal condenser along with the distillate.

Red hue sounds like tails but upping the internal condenser temp can’t hurt. Although if this is second pass, you shouldn’t have many terps. Also that’s a pretty big vacuum range, get that under control.

1 Like

Sorry I see that I typoed. It vacuum is holding below .020torr aka 20 mTorr. This would also be 20 micron.

1 Like

Work your body/evaporator temp down. Too hot you’re distilling tails.

When you say body and evaporator are you speaking on feed tank temp and external line temp?

as well as external condenser temp?

Body/evaporator (same thing) is what you’re referring to as the external condenser (it’s not a condenser because things are evaporating off of it not condensing) is the body of the column, or the evaporator.

So you believe the tails (trash) are coming out because the evaporator wall is too hot and they are collecting with the distillate and condensing down the column as well. Thank you for you input. I will test this out immediately. (as soon as I get the wfe to heat back up :joy:)

This episode of my podcast is specifically about rolled film distillation parameters. Jay Horten and I get into terp stripping and distillation SOPs that can potentially allow you to avoid having to do a polish pass. I think you’ll find some useful information here:

1 Like