CBD Vape Formulation R&D No Additives

I recently recieved some hemp HTFSE from one of our extraction partners and am doing R&D using it to make a 1:1 CBD:CBG cartridge. The goal is to prevent crystallization while only including hemp derived products(no thc’s or CBC/CBN either). My most recent formulation was roughly 27% CBD, 11%CBDa, 40.5% CBG, 0.28% Total THC, ~80% TAC and 9% terps (from HTFSE with 30% terps by weight). Both the CBD and CBG have been below the crystallization concentration for each of my trials however they have all crystallized on me. The mixture is low viscosity for a vape, similar to honey. After it crystallizes I can whip it up and it stays in a liquid form for about 24 hours. My only thought is that the high terpene content is allowing the cbd and cbg to seperate (not sure if thats possible because of how similar the MW is but my chem knoweledgeis limited). I know a lot of people are having this issue but I havent seen a solution besides crystal resistent distillate or adding cbc/cbn. I would love to hear any thoughts/ideas, this has me stumped.

I don’t think that separation is the issue as these compounds are all miscible with each other, no? Cbd and cbg both have the two free phenolic groups so maybe they like to co-crystallize? You say they are both below crystallization concentration but if you think about the sum of them, its high enough to cause crashing?

Just some guessing.

2 Likes

That would make sense because the crystal structure is very weak. It remelts in my hand if I hold it for a few minutes. I wonder what the cocrystallization threshold is for cbd and cbg together, I would think it would be higher because of the weaker forces involved.

Dang, 30% Terpene HTFSE is Great.

We’re trying to figure this out too. Will share notes if we do.

2 Likes