Cbd isomerization to d8 and d9 thc

why should the first wash be deionized water ?

sodium bicarbonate neutralizes the acid and pulls the acid out of the product.

it is common practice in organic chemistry to wash with dilute sodium bicarbonate
first when removing acids from products.

the fizzing is a sign of the acid being neutralized and is the release of carbon dioxide.

this is what you want.

8 Likes

You can do it either way really. If you want to avoid the fizzing for any reason then use pH 7 water for the first few washes. Then bust out the bicarb for later washes

4 Likes

I’m always drying my solutions prior to use.

3 Likes

Citric acid can give 60% D8, 30% D9 with a complete reaction. Tosic acid can give 80% D8, 10% D9 with a complete reaction. I have seen results all over the board with Hcl based on heat, time, and acid content.

1 Like

and what results did HCl give ?

does anyone know what happens if you reflux this for too long.

lets say I do the reflux for 2 days to make sure will I get tar or a polymer mess

1 Like

Reddit.

is this what you mean

they are just restating the journal papers

A lot of the low quality (50-60%) and non-compliant D8 is being dumped on Reddit. A lot of the COA’s posted mention Hcl. Just being anecdotal on my part.

2 Likes

ahh ok.

I still think its possible with tosic to get past 90% but maybe something needs tweaking.

so if 90% is the upper limit then people must be using rp chromatography to get the 99 fine stuff

2 Likes

I wonder if we were to use acetic acid instead of toluene for the tosic acid reaction
if it would give a higher d8 percentage as acetic has a higher dielectric constant
than toluene.

we can not use plain water as that will hurt the tosic acid at high temp but maybe acetic
will do it.

2 Likes

@squig I think someone mentioned using ethyl acetate as well

1 Like

Does using a solvent improve the process ? :thinking:
Does it favor or imped some byproducts ?

1 Like

@squig

This graph is from a p. Tsa sop I created no chromatography was needing to be done… just distilled on wiper… rxn, water wash, filter, devol, distill basic jist

20 Likes

Well done!

2 Likes

a few can do it; the rest use photoshop tek :wink:

3 Likes

That would be thc-o acetate

There seem to be something in the left of the D8 peak, right before… :face_with_monocle:
It may rather be 97%ish… (boo !)

This is the highest reported score so far.
Is this a results right after reaction, or after the described clean-up procedure ? :thinking:

2 Likes

@Dr_Jebril

Here’s another method using a different acid ive done as well, plus an overlay of a standard run i know ive posted these all before…

2 Likes

So are the two peaks between 6.5 and 7.0 d9 and d8 ?
There seem to be something right in between perhaps closer to d8. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

in my opinion I would say there is a peak at 6.5 that little hump… as far as the shoulder going up into the d8 is really hard to say. We’ve tried spiking it with d9 before and the tiny shoulder still remained there

4 Likes