Cbd isomerization to d8 and d9 thc

Anyone play with bases in tjhe flasks? Like Potassium tert-butoxide ?

1 Like

I think only strong acids work to go from cbd to d8

https://www.who.int/medicines/access/controlled-substances/IsomersTHC.pdf

6 Likes

This is on my schedule for tonight. Got distracted today. My son was the only 8th grader from his high school selected for the science Olympiad team, so I came to the competition. Go junior!

11 Likes

I figured I’d try all the safer catalysts first. That’s on list two if T41, t5, ac, or citric acid don’t give me what I want from distillate or isolate.

2 Likes

Agreed here - Most of the side products will be oxidized “degradation” products that are unaccounted for by typical cannabinoid assays in the industry. Remember, there are generally only 14-16 commonly available cannabinoid standards in use at most labs.

2 Likes

yep. ideally you overlay the chromatograms. which means doing it yourself, or having a excellent working relationship with ones third party lab. I highly recommend the excellent working relationship, and encourage all licensed operators to gain In House analytics at the earliest opportunity.

4 Likes

Not quite what I was hoping for, but educational none the less.

3 Likes

how long you run your reactions for? did you distill afterwards or is that the immediate crude products

thanks for sharing, saved me a $50 lab test

2 Likes

I just warmed it up to 150c and let it sit there for 30 minutes and then ran it off. Probably should have let it sit at temp longer.

oh so you started with distillate, thought you might of started with isolate.

1 Like

Yeah, it was a 94.5%cbd 100%tac distillate so I figured I’d try it. I’m gonna make some isolate this week and try agin with that. I wonder if throwing it back in the still and rerunning it would make a difference? I haven’t washed it yet so there should still be some acid in there

1 Like

Distillation afterwards is a method of purification at least your end product will have compounds with similar boiling points :wink:

2 Likes

It was already distilled after the reaction. Does running it again since it hasn’t been ph balanced have the possibility of eliminating that D9?

Sure any ph that’s off and heat will cause some isomerization
The question is is it in your favor :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Dear Mr Cyclopath,

Dealing with you question on the gc method, here are details (from memory, im not in front of the machine now)

I use 3 gas, air/He/H2,the carrier is He.
Injector and detector at 250c.
Inlet pressure at 29psi.
Column flow initialy at 3ml/min
Temperature program: start at 80c for two minutes, then ramps up to 180c at 30c/,min, and then to 280 at 10c/min, and then hold for 2 minutes. If it is a mct or other oil tincture, the 2nd ramp goes up to 320c, and holds for 5minutes.

This is a slow method (17 to 25 minutes), adapted from forensic studies (adapted from EU advised method), but I get a good resolution for the cannabinoids, and I can see a lot of the terps. It could be improved. I should also switch to H2 as carrier gas… maybe during the year, as my He consumption start to be significant since last year.

Edit: this was intended to be sent as mp, I posted here by error, Im ok with this but I hope this is fine for the topic.

2 Likes

I’m going to pick up the chromatograph from the test I posted above. Any help with interpretation when I can post it would be greatly appreciated! Too many unknowns and they don’t have a d10 standard, so I figured I’d go grab the graph so we can take a look.

2 Likes

I noticed 90-120 minutes reaction time here (applicability hmmmm?)

However, I have no lab skills and have tried this exactly zero times (ie cheeba level lab skills minus the fraud)

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m going to redistill it before I ph balance it today just to see if that makes any difference. The rise in thc makes me think the reaction wasn’t done. In house analytics is looking like a good investment right about now…

The chart is for simulated gastric acid and this was t41. My starting material was 94.5% CBD and that’s all gone @30 minutes. My delta 9 is about double what I started with.

1 Like

I did not put together all the data I got on this topic of d8 snthesis… from memory I remember seing one same pattern in series of samples from two different sources. In both case those persons were showing progresses in their synthesis sample after sample, starting from cbd isolate.

First would be 20% d8 10% thc, second about 50%d8 with 10-20% d9, and final about 80% d8 and low d9…

In paralel what I see is that the cbd peak is quickly “attacked”, and it splits in 3 peaks. In fact cbd depletes fast in the reaction progression, and is replaced by 1-2 intermediaries (that s how I interprete this). It seems stepwise. These two intermediaries are usually the main ingredient not accounted for. If I recall well, in the best synthesis I saw, it was 80% d8 and the last intermediary made up most of the remaining 20%. It was almost done, they stopped too soon !

3 Likes

Ok, here’s the graph. Is the peak @ 10.273 delta 10 thc? @Dr_Jebril @cyclopath @anon6488101

3 Likes