CBD isomerisation with ethanol as only solvent. Hassle free approach?

Hello, I have a question to all the cannabis experts here about the cleaning of the reaction mixture from the ismerisation of CBD to THC.
If I were to have the isomerisation product of 1g CBD dissolved in 20ml of ethanol 96%, then went on to neutralize with NaHCO3 and proceded to boil of the alcohol, could the remaining be washed by simply pouring boiling water over it and then wait for the fat soluble cannabinoids to form a layer at the top that could pe picked up, like in the butter making when you pick up the butter from the gunk water. Maybe repeat this process a few times. Could it work this way and would the result be reasonably safe for my own consumption?
It would be good to be able to use only ethanol and avoid all the other pescy solvents, that are notoriously hard to get rid of without the right apparatus whereas a little residual ethanol makes no difference with regards to health and taste.
What is your experience with cannabinoids in hot water, do youthink this kind of washing practical?

What method are you using to transform cbd to thc?

It may likely be that the most pesky solvent for such task include ethanol. :grimacing:
It can easily take part into the reactions and this results in a much more heteregeneous product, with high diversity of unknowns.

2 Likes

I use a clay treated with a Lewis acid to filter my crude, it does a good job converting cbd to cbn and that will come out in my tails rather than mucking up my body

1 Like

Ethanol may seem like a less hazardous solvent in some ways, but side reactions lead to unique byproducts. Hexane and heptane are relatively inert and heptane is not particularly hazardous in terms of human health. I would argue those are safer to use.

2 Likes

I dont know yet, usually HCl is recommended for ethanol but somewhere here I read it can leave lung aggravating chlorine in the oil if neutralisation is not done well, but that shouldnt be a problem. Then let sit at room temperature or in hot water bath for a few hours or a day. I would prefer D9 over D8 and an as full as possible reaction of the CBD.
So you recommend against ethanol, do people feel shit from bad synthetic D8/D9? Is it even likely that the random cannabinoids are harmful, or is it more an efficiency issue?
Then I might have to get one of those vacuum pumps with a stainless steel pot and and try to degas a thin film in the oven at maybe 50°C to a 100°C.
What acid would you recommend for petrol ether (alkane mix, bp 40°C-60°C)?
And sitting time for maximum D9 yield?

Rather pentane or heptane. Hexane is significantly more toxic than its brothers.
Still, all are more volatile and easier to remove than ethanol. And indeed do not take part into the reaction, which is the most important.

6 Likes

Apart from ptsa.
I can get sulphuric acid 98% at the pharmacy and diluted phosphoric and hydrochloric acid.
Will sulphuric acid do the trick at room temperature?

Im not too sure about that, hexane is proven neurotoxic and Ive smoked extract made with pentane, that was only purged with a boiling water bath and it tasted very bad and didn`t do much good.

Do you mean your isomer crude whomst unreacted CBD you turn to CBN?
That sounds great, I would just keep the CBN in the oil.
How do you go about this process, and what acid do you use?
Do you mean bentonite soaked in this acid and put it in a buchner funnel?

Found something, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Those Italians had a result with HCl and water so it works without solving? But stirring is necessary?

US2981697.pdf (725.8 KB)

1 Like

Fixed, thank you. I was under the impression it takes quite a bit of hexane before it becomes neurotoxic, far more than even a poorly performed reaction would leave behind. Looks like I’m wrong, still learning :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

A half assed evaporation can trap a lot of solvent in the oil, maybe 5%, and it goes directly into the bloodstream in a much higher concentration than any workplace contamination plus a colourful bouquet of pyrolysis products.

Do you make your own following this method or are you buying it premade?

A friend has a lot of a media called A7, which i use out of convenience. i will ask him where to source it.
I was using this method when i didnt have that available

1 Like

Yeesh. No.

I just guessed, but a lot bubbles up in a vacuum, that was before trapped in the waxy matrix, when a just heat purge has been exhausted. It seems a vacuum purge, at least, is always necessary to get solvents down to a tolerable level, because of the viscosity of the stuff.
But most hobbyists, who read a recipe on the internet that was derived from laboratory procedures, don`t have a vacuum chamber, so thats not so good.

try 0.1 ml H2SO4 in a liter…
with as much cbd as you like/ scale…
try 24-48hr rm temp. things change!

why not cbd in dry etoh let sit wih 4 A mol. sieve

that is if it must be ethanol

you might think about catalyst added liquid cbd (neat).

1 Like

I don’t really do cbd conversions, but I have studied cbd stability in various solutions…mainly related to EtOH water systems. I think if you do a patent search you will find numerous detailed descriptions.
But a detailed search here (4200) may suit you well…
as there is enormous effort put forth…to meet the legal hemp to legal delta 8 coversion and marketable product.
It is not so much what you can do chemically, as it is
what you can do with legal Hemp conversions…that dictate the process chemistry.

2 Likes