CBD Isolate with MCT/Coconut Oil in 510 Vape cart?

Agreed. Im 10000% about letting people put whatever they want into their own bodies but its deplorable to do that to someone else. Also the legal liabilities of selling a knowingly harmful product is an entire other side to this.

2 Likes

dig deeper. eg

…and think beyond MCT.

1 Like

I assure everyone I’m only interested in this for personal-use!

Is there a verified case of MCT causing lipid pneumonia? There’s this post from a seller that details why MCT wouldn’t cause that: steelrollin comments on CBDistillery using MCT oil as vape oil?

All I’m seeing about MCT says that it wouldn’t be an issue because the molecules are small-enough to be broken down.

where are you looking?

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C38&q=mct+vape&btnG=

2 Likes

Some of that says that MCT was present in the lungs, alongside Vit E acetate, and that it “may” cause illness. If MCT and Vit E were present, I assume the Vit E would be the issue since there’s studies about it, but that doesn’t necessarily mean MCT is an issue because it was present?

What happens to distillate in the lungs when vaped? Does it instantly leave the lungs, or does it stick around for a bit until it’s broken down?

Huffing your meds is stupid. Effective. But stupid nevertheless.

You wanna use MCT. Go ahead.

I’ve tried it. I don’t advise it.

3 Likes

If you’re not pouring vape juice into your lattes are you really living life?

1 Like

Meaning both are bad yes.

Don’t vape coconut oil. Just use CBC and CBG distillate with hemp derived terpenes.

1 Like

Just because it’s in your lungs? I put air in there too usually :stuck_out_tongue:

Does that imply that distillate and terpenes don’t stick around in your lungs for any period of time? Or do the molecules stick around for a bit and eventually get broken down?

Some Redditor tier logic here that I don’t care enough about to sit here to try and understand

What specifically makes the oil molecules from distillate and terpenes different than MCT when it’s in your lungs?

I appreciate everyone’s suggestions so far. I understand MCT may not be the best to be using here and that distillate and terps make more sense to mix with.

I have an interest in MCT though and I’m looking for studies and direct reports about it specifically with it in the lungs. There’s VCO nasal sprays, and some inhalers also use MCT. And there’s the study I linked in the first post. I’m not content with just being told it’s not a good idea and would prefer to know why it’s not a good idea in no uncertain terms; maybe with a link to a study and quote. I wouldn’t be here posting about this if I could find this information clearly.

Is there an actual case of MCT by itself causing either issues in-general or lipid pneumonia? Or is it really as simple as people just lumping it in because it’s a lipid and no scientific reason? Has anyone outright came out and said they vaped MCT and got diagnosed with lipid pneumonia?

But lets say that vaping MCT will eventually cause lipid pneumonia. How much vaping of MCT would it take to cause this? What are the signs? What about vaping vegetable or some other LCT oil; is the negative effects of vaping those noticeable immediately? If I hit LCT once, will it be an issue out of nowhere a day or week later? Lipid pneumonia sounds like it occurs cumulatively, but does the pneumonia happen because the lungs can’t clear out LCT molecules quick enough and they build-up, or that it can’t break them down at all and that they build up?

Basically, my understanding is that LCT can’t or are slow to break down in the lungs and will lead to problems. I’m not noticing anything directly that says MCT by itself can’t be broken down or would be an issue in the lungs. Distillate and terps I assume are only ok because they’re small enough to be broken down in the lungs. Why are distillate and terps ok, but not MCT oil?

1 Like

You think cbd/thc distillate is actually an oil, as in a mixture of triglycerides similar to MCT? Dumb dumb, look that shit up if you are so inclined to put it in your lungs.

Do you understand what a triglyceride is? Do you understand what a cannabinoid is? Just look at the structures, one is 3 fatty acids with like 6 carbons each… The other is a small molecule people vape all the time. Post a side by side picture and explain me the differences. And then we will explain why you are good to smoke one and not the other.

4 Likes

it is the LIVER that does the “breaking down”…

huffing your meds is provably bad for you.

ok, you’re gonna do it anyway. why add stuff that you’re not actually looking to ingest. especially when folks are willing to raise their hands and say “dude, I tried that, its a bad idea!”

4 Likes

My understanding was that distillate is just an oil. If I was aware of everything else in mentioned I wouldn’t be here, but thanks for the starting ground for some more research.

I’m trying to get information. People are quicker to tell you not to do something instead of explaining why.

I’m not looking to intentionally ruin my lungs. I want to understand why MCT oil would ruin my lungs. I want more than “it’s a bad idea”. I really don’t think I’m being unreasonable here? What of the sources I linked? Are they all complete bs? If so, why?

Then there’s this thread that is against MCT, but it’s the only source I found that mentions anything about polar vs non-polar fats: https://old.reddit.com/r/CannabisExtracts/comments/d96yrw/lipoid_pneumonia_vape_carts_mct_vitamin_e_acetate/

So what’s actually right here?

1 Like

can you draw us an MCT?

can you explain how an organ evolved for gas exchange might function when fed other than a gas?

eg: what happens when you supply liquid water?

I don’t disagree with “but I want to know why”.

I can only tell you that it was not pleasant and I don’t recommend it.

I would not expect oiling ones lungs to be helpful. experience says it’s NOT.

if you need that experience too, rather than taking the word of some @cyclopath on the internet, then by all means have that experience.

5 Likes

Id recommend skimming the Wikipedia intro on “vegetable oils” then the wiki for triglycerides. Then the wiki for CBD. Pay close attention to the little stick figures of the chemical structures of both… Google image search is helpful here.

Just by looking at the differences in amount of “sticks” (carbons-carbon bonds) in each structure, you should be able to see there is a big difference in size of these molecules. More size = more surface area, more surface are usually means more “stickyness”, stickyness = coating your lung tissues and not being able to clear it from lungs, not being able to clear those globs of oil gets you pneumonia. Inhale enough of any liquid and you have a chance of developing pneumonia.

I generalized but I hope you get the point. If you are more interested in this stuff, I would pick up a chem/biochem book and dig in… It’ll really improve your life I guarantee.

2 Likes

Vape that MCT fohm

Could I use pure VG and mix CBD isolate into that, without using PG?

How to Make Vape Juice From CBD Isolate DIY Guide | Cheef Botanicals i’ve never personally made it myself but a friend of mine did something similar to this

I did a quick mix with just VG and isolate, and it seems to work fine. The amount of isolate I used didn’t dissolve all the way in the VG. Seems to work fine as-is in a cart for now.

Am I missing anything without the PG? From what I read, PG is used mainly as a thinner for the VG?