CBD Isolate storage and shelf life

I have a few questions on storing CBD isolate and how long it will last.

what is the shelf life of isolate kept on the shelf in a opaque container ?
what is the shelf life of isolate kept in the fridge or freezer ?

does inert gas make a big difference to how long it can be stored ?

how can I keep isolate for the longest time possible and how long is that ?

thanks for any answers

I personally dont know but I would say if you are keeping it in a fridge make sure its air tight so no moisture gets in. Also make sure you have a desiccant packet in there as well as isolate will take on a little moisture.

2 Likes

If storred as 99+ isolate in a dark container, at room temperature, I think the shelf life is many years… in a ethanol/methanol/acetone stored in a fridge, it shortens to only few months when not degassed, filtered, and sealed.

1 Like

Are you saying CBD will degrade noticably In a few months if suspended in etOH in the fridge?

Anecdotally: I’ve had initial “tea” sitting in my -20f freezer for over a year and once it got recovered and distilled the resulting disty was on par with everything else. Not sure if the same would be true with a very concentrated solution of isolate and etOH however

1 Like

What about crude oil?
How long can be in ethanol in room temp.as a tincture,before cannabinoids start degrading?

1 Like

Yes, pure CBD. The rate of degradation is however slow (we are dealing with few % change, maximum 10% over the observed periods), and I don’t know if it goes to 100% or sort of stops at some points.

When it come to more “full spectrum”, let’s say “crude” products, as @Exer mentioned, shelf life is in fact extended because of the presence of various antioxidants together. This is also the case regarding pure CBD tincture in a large series of vegetable oils. Shelf life is longer.

4 Likes

Lightproof mylar, 60f, and nitrogen gas in the container is what I have heard as an isolate storage tek.

1 Like

I think then i will go a silvered schlenk flask if I can get my hands on one.

that way I can easily regass it when I need to take a bit to convert to my medicine :slight_smile:

just put silver nitrate in water in the flask then add formalin to reduce the silver to the inside
of the flask blocking it from light.

that is if CBD does not react with silver I will see what I can find.

otherwise I may have to spray the outside.

I intend on opening the container every 2 too 3 months to do a 3 gram isomerization
for personal use and don’t want it to go off.

the way australia is we will get this shit legalized for 6 to 12 months then when they realize
you can cook it to the good stuff it will be taken from us like every other pleasure known
to man has been.

4 Likes

I’m 2 years late to this convo which is better in terms of storage life?
CBD or CBDa

Cbd is technically the better choice for shelf life but a high purity diamond of cbda will remain stable for years

3 Likes