CBD Isolate molecules vs CBD Distillate Molecules. Are they the same?

I wanted to open up the discussion about the difference of say a 100% isolate vs a 100% distillate. besides physical appearance how do they differ? Say you take that isolate crystal and melt it. Is it still the same molecule just in a different phase? or have you actually degraded the product some from putting heat to it one more time. (this opens up the next topic of well why doesnt your 200c high heat distallation process cause more damage than just remelting an isolate crystal at a lower temp of 70c?)

I keep hearing people say a molecule is a molecule and it doesnt make a difference how it got to that point of becoming a molecule. But then you have the other side that says that molecule is different or unstable because it was made in a semi synthetic route, or it was made into isolate and then remelted back to a “distillate.”

I have also heard people say their isolate is higher quality because they only put the isolate through one crystallization vs other that may take 2-3 recrystallization to get past the 99% mark.

Is this all marketing bullshit or is there some truth to the idea that your molecule can actually become less stable the more you manipulate it from constant heating and cooling in these different processes?

2 Likes

Beofre I discuss, CBD distillate often contains minor cannabinoids and other impurities in it, whereas CBD isolate is typically more pure CBD.

However if you take 100% CBD isolate and melt it, all you are doing is rearranging the 3-dimensional arrangement of the CBD atoms. In isolate form, they are regular and repeating, which causes that nice solid crystalline structure. Melted CBD isolate (if you melt it under vacuum, for example) contains 100% CBD, but the atoms are more randomly arranged in 3D space. The molecules need the right conditions as well as lots of time to order themselves nicely into crystals/isolate. If done under vacuum (i.e to prevent oxidative degradation), I don’t see how there is any difference between melted CBD that came from CBD isolate.

1 Like

I’m well aware of the difference of distillate and isolate with minor, but for this topic of debate I wanted to assume the distillate is lacking of minors. including the CBDV that is usually in isolate.

Yes CBD is CBD

2 Likes

If there is no minors, then it’s isolate by definition. Whether liquid or solid phase.

Yes, by definition no minors means isolate, but what do you call isolate with .5% cbdv? isoalmost? broad specsolate?

I personally believe a molecule is a molecule, so CBD is always CBD no matter what phase its in. I just get the impression a lot of people that seem a lot smarter than me disagree and i want to know why or where that idea comes from.

2 Likes

You’re right, i don’t know why someone would say otherwise. As far as a name I don’t know what you’d call it besides just “impure isolate” or something like that.

2 Likes

I think its safe to say this industry uses all the scientific terms (and made up marketing terms) very loosely.

1 Like

" CBD Isolate molecules vs CBD Distillate Molecules"

CBD is the name of a chemical compound or molecule.

CBD is CBD.

now what you might have in a flask that contains some CBD is a different thing all together.

You get the same thing in every drug forum is this meth better then that meth is
this MDMA stronger than that MDMA

no they are what they are its the purity of the compound (consisting of multiple molecules)
that makes the difference
thesk8nmidget is right on the money :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pulverized crystals vs crystals no?

1 Like