"CBD Is over"

It was mind blowing how many planted acres were not harvested ! The newbies that had no plans or funds for harvest labor and no plan to dry left abandoned fields all over.

2 Likes

I grew 26,000lbs and haven’t sold any

3 Likes

Only market i see that isnt being filled atm is hydrocarbon fresh terp hemp extracts(cbda), maybe look into tolling with someone who runs a bho lab?
Sorry to hear that, what price are u trying to get for them?

2 Likes

Only like 6 bucks testing between 10.5-14.9. We thought about running it to oil but would probably just be sitting on that too with out a contract from someone

1 Like

Better then moldy weed :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

yeah, the numbers being thrown around didn’t make sense to me before folks started planting last year…

rec cannabis in OR looked the same way…but at least we had NYC to supply.

3 Likes

Watch what thc is gona do once
Isomerizing cbd to D9 is mainstream
Folks are gearing up
Prediction 2000$ a liter after harvest this year

6 Likes

For sure… Disty market is going to get even more blown out then it is already.
Probably less then 2k. I can make a liter with less then 1k including isomerizing catalysts. And that’s just buying 1 kilo of isolate and doing it.

2 Likes

It’s no fun to die alone so CBD wants to take THC down with it !

3 Likes

It. CAn only take distillate down
Untill we have beter yields on recarboxilating then the shit hits the fan

1 Like

Here’s the vitamin market. Cannabinoids will, in a best case scenario, be equal. In a conservative model, it will take a share of this market.
It’s funny because I’ve remember brokers calling me me 3 year ago with $30B isolate orders! LOLOL.
All we have to do it look at other similar products and we will see the probable potential of these types of products.
For some reason people in cannabinoid Indistries have neglected to compare it to existing markets.
It’s like someone said, “$20 a gram 365 days a year times 300 million Americans and you’re gonna make $2.1 trillion. The time to invest is now!”

2 Likes

I’m curious why this industry hasn’t been branching out into new markets. There’s a million _inoid compounds in the world isolated from different plants. Why hasn’t there been more use of fiber. Tp could probably be made from post extracted biomass. Why hasn’t anyone developed pyrolysis energy generators. Also if someone really wanted to sell their product they put money into medical research.

Apparently @smokemeoutbruh on IG has this all nailed down.

Thc without modulation is sterile and feels weird in my opinion.

1 Like

The R&D and industry development is happening, it’s just being done by smaller groups who are passionate about the industry. That is getting overshadowed by the multitude of people looking to become millionaires in less than a year. IMO, the price crash is good for killing off a lot of the dead weight in the industry.

I consult fairly regularly on startup CBD venture proposals and I would say the vast majority of the proposals I see fall into 2 categories (take this with a grain of salt because I’m in the Midwest):

1. Traditionally wealthy Boomer-types who have already made their money in some other mainstream industry and are only interested in turning their $1MM investment into $5MM+ as soon as possible.

2. Stoners in non-rec states that have aspirations of turning their recreational habits into some kind of self-sustaining business/career and see CBD as a newly-legal stepping stone to that end. Nevermind the fact that don’t have the means/skills/ability/willingness to move to a rec state to start.

As prices and margins fall, those two groups will almost definitely go away for different reasons. #1 will go away because the crazy ROI no longer exists and #2 will go away because they don’t have the means to compete with established, efficient, GMP-compliant labs. This leads to exactly what yall have been predicting: Existing labs survive and snap up market share.

4 Likes

Has he been hitting a high d9 conversion?

Last time I talked to him on IG he was making a 1:1 d9:d8 and said just d9 takes long workup procedures and isin’t feasible for scale production.

This was back at the end of January so maybe he’s discovered something new.

:man_shrugging:

I didn’t really talk to him about it, just reading comments.

This one, I can verify actually does have a few people working on it.

1 Like

That is what we have been doing since 2016 and this is what we put into our consumer products. Cbda @Thetetraguy

1 Like

That looks too dark for the stuff im talking about. Im talking about hemp sauce or hemp “diamonds” with comparable looks to top shelf thc sauce.
I think co2, ethanol and heptane extractiom are overdone in the cbd game, and personally imo only hydrocrabon fresh extracted material is gonna have a demand worth trying to fill. But u gotta first have the right genetics (good terp profile), grow it well, dry it well and extract quick. 90% of hemp farmers probably cant do that

3 Likes

I have to largely agree with Sierra’s math and outlook here. 2 years ago, we were paying $9/gram for CBD and happy to do so, we were still making huge margins. 1 year ago, was paying about $6/gram, and even happier because retail pricing on finished product was still high, and demand was still growing.

Today, I can produce in-house, soil 2 oil from farmer partners and our own extraction, for about 1.85/gram, and yet we have a thousand liters of our own crude stored in buckets because its still cheaper to buy now on the open market from OR/WA farmers/toll processors desperate to unload inventory for just a partial cost-recovery than it is for us to spend the resources to decarb and winterize our own crude. If you had told me a year ago I’d be able to buy decarbed 62% crude for <275/kilo, I’d have said you were smoking too much of the other cannabinoid; now it’s a commonplace deal.

Despite this, and even with the FDA delays, I still see overall consumer demand rising, albeit at a much lower rate than supply skyrocketed. People are stuck at home, concerned about health, shopping online in our current pandemic environment. This increase has been good for our retail sales, but the market demand is still a long ways from soaking up all the excess supply of CBD overhanging the market.

It’s going to take a lot of farmer dropping out of the ag market after getting burned this season, coupled with clarity from the FDA and the CPG titans jumping into making CBD-laced cookies and beverages in every store of America, before we start to see things come back into some semblance of balance.

2 Likes