"CBD gummies are bad"

Where’s yours?

That’s what I was trying to say but couldn’t. I blame whipped cream chargers

1 Like

What, you can’t google fu?

J/k, this is from a small research group at a local university that haven’t yet published the results. Still, the chemical structure of CBD isn’t dramatically different enough from THC to expect sudden jumps in bioavailability.

We are currently collecting data on bioavailability of THC via rectal administration. It’s quite good. There is, as far as I know, a single study performed with Rhesus monkeys which is the basis for people claiming low bioavailability; this is not surprising because in the write up they explained that the money’s were quite poor at intentionally retaining the API (they tend to want to shit it back out). Base and formulation obviously have a substantial impact, with lipid based formulations actually performing worse.

We have not looked at CBD blood concentrations but I agree that it is likely they would be similarly absorbed.

Are you sure? Scientific consensus is that highly lipophilic substances aren’t suitable for rectal administration, while more polar, water soluble APIs are highly favoured, hence why they synthesized THC-hydrogensuccinate (THC-HS) to make it more polar.

For sure THC-HS is more available than d9 but it’s potential for severe abuse and the control on required precursors (4-dimethylaminopyridine being the most common) makes it a bit of a non-starter. Regardless, our polling does show d9 blood concentrations to be several times higher per mg administered than other MOAs with an appropriate base. For what it’s worth, it’s not particularly well controlled data gathering right now but definitely enough for continue with product development

I’ll gladly help you avoid DMAP, if that synthesis is something you seriously want to do. Looked into it a while back and adapted it to a more friendly process overall. 4-DMAP is a bitch to work with and even worse to isolate from the mix afterwards.

Can y’all explain like I’m 5? Are there other chems that are being mixed with cbd to better medicate via that route?

I’d definitely be interested although I’m not sure when we’d get around to doing the R&D. We are in an environment where we could reasonably work with DMAP if we found it necessary but obviously prefer to not find it necessary

CBD can be derivatized at the position with the - OH groups to form a hydrogensuccinic ester which would make it dramatically more water soluble.

2 Likes

Well, how do you feel about 1-Methylimidazole? :wink:

A lot of the colloids and such developed to make transdermals and such are pretty effective at making the d9 able to be absorbed effectively although honestly we found it to not be necessary.

Most suppositories are either a lipid base which melts or a water-soluble base which dissolves. The former kind of just leave a dab up your ass (pardon my French) and often the API (active ingredient) isn’t retained to be absorbed. Further, to the limited extent the membrane can absorb a lipid, that limited lipophilicity has to compete between the base and API

The other types can be tailored to dissolve slowly enough that the API is absorbed without “leaking” which is a real thing (sorry to be gross)

2 Likes

Don’t know much about it other than it looks to be both less controlled and less expensive than DMAP. Honestly planning one of these syntheses from the ground up is way outside my league

Yes, there’s the exact problem - too much fatty bases irritates the colon and rectum and produces watery discharge, which is quite honestly a load of crap.

Macrogols on the other hand should be nice and not too hygroscopic in their action. Water soluble as well!

2 Likes

Yep, nailed it. Remember, we’ve been shoving lipophobic drugs up our asses for a long time, the heavy lifting has been done

1 Like

You’re spot on, also much less toxic and reusable.

I’ve done it already, there for the taking if you are interested.

2 Likes

I’ll reach out when ready to give it a shot

2 Likes

should I put the homogenzer in my butt or do it outside like a butane run? Mine is certified to homogenize human vagaina samples but im worried because of a hemmerhoid

Definitely IN the butt! No way to get a proper homogenization outside of the rim, and the hemmi will add affect to the effects