CBD Distillate Color After Wiped Film

Hi guys! I have about 45 kg distillate in 3 buckets. It is all one batch.

1. Why one bucket crystalizes more then the others? It is a solid rock.
  2. Is crystallization a good sign or bad sign?
    7.15Disti.pdf (96.7 KB)

Where are the other cuts?

Sorry, what do you mean by “other cuts”?)

1 Like

Anyone?

Crystal is good. Without taking into account other factors like pH, quick crystalization generally means higher purity. If one bucket is different from the others, the fraction you were pulling may have changed mid run due to falling out of your set parameters (like a appreciable drop in vacuum strength). It may have also been a non-homogeneous load (pouring a disty re run in with more crude).

None of your videos show good quality photos, you should re upload your photos to get the conversation started.

1 Like

Thank you! Will reupload

Could be a lot of things. Not sure what the winterization on this was, but its typical for my plant to have slight ethanol differences between different rotovaps which would impact the pressure during the run.
Could also monitor your column temps (like the IC) to see if the parameters were relative through the 3 buckets.

Anything over 70% will crystallize. If one is crystallizing faster and more thoroughly than the others than it just means that, that bucket is higher purity. The amount of terps in each bucket is probably dictating the amount of CBD and its ability to find itself and form crystals.

Not necessarily true. Certain chemicals inhibit crystallisation at much lower amounts than others.

I agree if we are just talking about random crystals dissolved in solvents with other side products. I was just referring to CBD and the terps that are present in these pictures.

The batch simply isn’t homogenous. It’s not a problem, but to fix, you’d need to warm up and homogenize in a 20+ (prob 30+ to be safe) gal vessel.

I think it would still crystallized. CBD crystallizes even more vigorously after it has been heated and mixed if it has crystallizes once before.