CBD > D8/D9 Mechanics (New Paper)

Let me see that Chromatography once you finish your Rxn :slightly_smiling_face: you might be a little disappointedā€¦

1 Like

Im sure ill be fine.

It might take a few tries but I bet I can get similar results

Everything will be confirmed by @kcalabs

4 Likes

Just remember academics lie a lot on papers too :woman_shrugging: Theyā€™re just trying to finish their PhD in 5 years instead of 6 lol

6 Likes

Yeah, I havenā€™t had much luck over the years with reproducing published work. Neither have many others -a study concerning the reproducibility of the top 25 cited cancer papers only found a few that were reproducible.

Anyway, I really donā€™t like the amount of pTSA they are using. Crazy amount. But maybe at RT that is key.

7 Likes

I gave it a try and did a small batch.
pTSA in anhydrous Toluol for 46h at RT with max stirringā€¦
I have no COA, but my TLC shows only one spot at d8 reference.
The distille is rock hard. So, looks like I made high d8 instead of d9.

I dried everythink except of the pTSA monohydrate. I assume that the residual water amount lead to the high d8 amount.
Does anybody know how to dry the pTSA efficiently?
I would try to put it in Vac chamber with CaCl2.

1 Like

They used monohydrate ptsa

Did you use inert atmosphere?

They did

2 Likes

I inerted with Argon, yes
My pTSA was pink and clump.
It could definetly be dryer.

Iā€™ve never seen pink ptsa Mines a white clumpy crystal that easily dissolves

3 Likes

pTSA will turn a bit pink if stored under mild heat and vacuum -in my experience anyway. Hopefully, that isnā€™t due to degradationā€¦ but my slight pink pTSA still works well for d8. Maybe the pink comes from some loss of the water (monohydrate) upon being stored in dry conditions?

1 Like

How big of a run did you do?

really? that was the first one i tried right when the paper was posted:

77% d9
11% d8

1000mg scale

6 Likes

and with dcm got 94% d8 and .1% d9 just like the paper

8 Likes

Did you run it the exact same way as the paper?

Im trying 1% ptsa

1 Like

yes with 2 mol eq

4 Likes

Hey guys just a quick question, i got hit with some waxy isolsteā€¦not sure exact % but i know its present maybe in a 5-10% overall content?

How bad of an impact would this have on a cbd to d9 conversions regarding side reactions and what notā€¦

I have some of @ZenLion material im running

I tried to make D8 and the reaction didnā€™t go off because of the fats and lipids (the cbd crystallized in my reactor over night after the reaction)

1 Like

So even 5% wax in cbd isolate can ruin the entire reaction? Do you think it can cause side reactions?

Did you notice any other issues?

Only information I have is anecdotal and from one experience so take it with a grain of salt.

I did one rxn with waxy isolate and it was subjectively very weak. :man_shrugging:

Youā€™re gonna have to winterize before or after anyways. So why not just winterize before.

3 Likes

I ran the exact conditions like mentioned in the paper, but scaled it up to 10 gramms CBD in the run. It was distillate and no isolate.
I havenā€™t expected to reach that high d9 number from the paper in the first run, but to end up with nearly pure d8 is really confusing.

I ordered some CaCl2, will dry out the pTSA and give it another try, to see if residual water is the reason.

1 Like

Deleted