CBD crystalline bond chemistry

After doing my fair share of research on CBD crystallography, I wasn’t able to find any structural information on actual CBD crystallization. I’m interested in seeing what bonds form in order to create the crystal lattice structure that’s often seen with CBD crystallization. Based on my knowledge, I figured it had to do with the two hydroxyl groups on each end of the benzene ring creating some sort of hydrogen bonding to hold each molecule in place. I brought to the forum hoping someone had some input on the topic. So far, I’ve only been able to find x-ray crystallography info on the CB1 receptor. I was hoping maybe @Photon_noir could weigh in on this.

-@LebanonDon
forgot to log off my business partners profile before making this post

2 Likes

Yep, there’s a crystallography paper with data for THCA-b but that’s about it for Cannabinoids

It’s just a hydrogen bond. You can see it.

http://www.crystallography.net/cod/1545377.html

2 Likes

“Cannabinoid acids can crystallize, but many cannabinoids, including THC, cannot. CBD is one exception because it has 2 OH groups that can interact (hydrogen bond) with OH groups on other CBD molecules. THC, on the other hand, only has one OH group, so it can only hydrogen bond to one other THC, making a dimer. The carboxylic acid group on THCa acts as a 2nd functional site on the molecule, allowing crystal lattices to grow, similar to the way CBD’s 2 OH groups allow crystal growth.” - someone on this forum, probably @Photon_noir

3 Likes

Yep, @Rowan! @x4prezz, What exactly do you want to know? I have not found the specific bond angles, but the crystal structure is a hexagonal prism, like emerald and other beryls, which is rhombohedric, I believe.

3 Likes