CBD crumble tips?

Hello everyone, thanks for taking the time to check out my thread. I’m looking for tips in the right direction on making CBD crumble through hydrocarbon extract. I use iso-butane and recently harvested, dried hemp trim/lowers. My issue is it always comes out liquid/sappy. Whether running live or dried hemp material, it’s never anywhere close to stable, and no amount of whipping helps.

I’ve tried mixing different ratios of CBD isolate, but it just blends in. I have plenty of experience with THC-a crumble/sugar/shatter/diamonds/etc… but haven’t been able to produce anything close to crumble from hemp material.

I know CBD distillate will crystallize, and I’ve never had my hemp extract tested, could it be a purity issue preventing it from crystallizing and forming a crumble structure? I appreciate any tips/spoons.

Here’s a couple pictures of what always comes out.

Are you attempting to whip cdba or cbd oil? IME cbd crystallizes very readily, cbda is a bit more tricky. Try decarbing under pressure to preserve terps and color.

4 Likes

I’m assuming it’s CBDa in the raw extract. That makes sense about decarbing it, I will give that a try. Thank you.

1 Like

First of all strange for what you are basicly saying is that the terpene content is to high and thus to soluble

But ok split your extraction in stages
1:1 solvent to biomass first extraction seperate collection pot
Then 9:1 solvent biomass second collection pot
If you have or want to winterize only do so on the second pot
Whip as usual 80% of all terps are in the first collection and are now not thinning your extract
Add a rid bit to give more flavor

2 Likes

Are there any hemp cultivars that can hang with the traditional market genetics in terms of terpene production? I’ve never seen a THC batch have too many terps to be able to get nucleation. Worked with 15% terpene content a bunch of times and it always battered up no problem.

I think it’s more to do with the nature of CBDa vs CBD molecules. CBD nucleates without agitation, I’ve never personally been able to get CBDa to crash out, though I know some have had great success. I believe @Zack_illuminated was dialing in cbdA crashing a few years ago.

2 Likes

Cbd-a is indeed a bit harder reason I recomend to get the concentration as high as possible but it crashes
A drop of hydrogen peroxide might help since we know that accitic ph helps the process

4 Likes

We have had full 55 gallon drums of CBDa crude crystallize on us. Makes an amazing sugar that looks almost identical to THCa. Takes quite a while of just sitting in a room (few weeks) before it does so. We ran 100% propane with avg 3-5% solvent loss depending on the operator. Technically, you can just spin it out in a centrifuge to get to isolate, was the first method I used. Just wont have the really high purity that re-crystallization has.

I have also isolated 97% CBDa and then recrystallized it into CBDa diamonds (harder than you would think).

To which is interesting in that they are both C22H30O4 but THCa is extremely easy to crystallize while CBDa seems almost impossible. The only difference is the shape of the molecule.

2 Likes

Once isolated it crashes fast
I harvest everyday from the 300L reactor yust adjust it s ph <5 with h2o2

4 Likes

Yes

1 Like