CBD and THC found in several plants from genus "Trema"

I always felt like it was a matter of time before it turned out these cannabinoids were found in a plant besides Cannabis. How many compounds are found in one plant and one plant only?

Intriguingly, one species was allegedly THC free, while the other contains unusually high proportions of CBN – does it produce this product enzymatically, or is it the result of errors in sample storage and preparation?

I have my doubts about the commercial application the Brazilian researchers were floating, but it is certainly very intriguing scientifically. It is especially interesting whether these plants might contain unique cannabinoids NOT found in cannabis, and I hope more research swiftly follows!

4 Likes

Not THC or CBD but still pretty awesome…

2 Likes

Thank you sir.

I’m too am dubious on commercial viability compared to plants that can purportedly it 30+ % cannabinoids in the inflorescence

1 Like

Ah, I see you beat me to it. I was wondering why nobody had posted about this yet. I wonder if this plant is really THC free or simply below their LOQ. If it persists in being THC free even if bred to give much higher CBD concentration, then perhaps it’s version of CBD synthase is less “leaky” than seen in Cannabis, which could be interesting from a GMO perspective.

Unfortunately the researchers did not seem to know much about cannabinoids. They did not even determine if the cannabinoids were present as acids and appeared neutral as an artifact of GC, or if it actually synthesizes them in the neutral form, which would be very interesting if so.

1 Like

Six out of forty cannabinoids shared by Cannabis. Then 34 NOT found in Cannabis – any of them do anything interesting?

Will you get high if you smoke the leaves? Anyone tried?

2 Likes

Still have not figured out how to do internal forum links :smiling_face_with_tear:
Posted this in ‘19

4 Likes