Catalytic Dewxing

Hi All,

There’s a process used in the petrochemical industry referred to as catalytic dewaxing. A type of zeolite, called Mordenite, catalyzes the crystallization of paraffins.

Anyone heard of catalysts being applied in the cannabis space that selectively catalyze wax precipitation/crystallization?

This could be HUGE in terms of saving on utilities.

3 Likes

Do the catalysts filter with your waxes our does it require a separate step for cleanup?

1 Like

Interesting to say the least. @TheGratefulPhil do you know whats causing the crystallization to occur?

Paraffin waxes are made up of heavy n-alkanes but the waxy coating coming from plant leaves is mostly long chain fatty acid esters and alcohols. I wonder if FA esters and alcohols can be forced to crystallize with the same catalyst or maybe even incorporated into the crystal structure of paraffin wax.

2 Likes

Color me intruiged. Curious if a room temp methanol dewax would kick out extra stuff with a catalyst. Could be a big thing.

Do you have any articles on efficacy? I can rock the Google machine, but curious if you’ve got anything more concrete.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Probably just my lack of chemistry background on that article. But doesn’t an encouragement of isomerization conditions kinda mess with our whole m.o.?

1 Like

Yes it will be a problem which is why im looking into whats causing this crystallization. It looks like the concentration of waxes in the solution is similar to what we deal with in cannabis extracts. Im currently looking for a study that details the action of mordensite on crystallization of waxes.

1 Like

Looks like this catalysis occurs at temperatures that would risk degradation of end product, also these reactions have been studied only in alkane and ketone solvents. The application in cannabis is a long shot, but still worth exploration.

I think the Mordenite selectively binds waxes and allows solvent to pass through, but it looks like you must have a hydrogen generator to re-saturate n-alkanes. High pressures/temps also make this a real pain in the ass.

Maybe it’s doable, maybe not

2 Likes