Cascade vacuum oven malfunction

CVO-5-L
I can’t say 100% that I have the overtemp protection set, but the red “over temperature activated” light does work during regular operation.
However, during these oddball occurrences, the overtemp light does not come on until after I shut the oven off, then it’ll come on after I power the vac oven back on.

The oven is manufactured with a “heating cutoff system that automatically cuts off electricity when the shelving temperature exceeds 392°F (200°C). This is intended to help prevent runaway heating in the event of a hardware failure.”
During these power flashes/failures, the problem arises where it’s not properly rereading the temp

Super weird. I can’t really tell from the picture if the temperature probe is located right under a bottom shelf. It should be. I would pull out the manual and check a couple of things. Make sure there is no calibration offset entered and double check the over temp protection. I am stumped!

Is there an over-temperature protection?

Sometimes heating elements will overshoot by way more than necessary, perhaps because a temperature sensor is shot and this ends up happening—over temp control (which I’m pretty sure is standard on cascade) will use a secondary temperature sensor that will shut off power supply to the heating elements.

But since it’s bout to be tornado season down here, I’d get some baller ass surge protectors just to be safe.

Edit: it may be also that the “P” part of the PID has the gain Waaayyyyyyy turned up and this thing just shoots way over specified temp and then gradually reduces.

Also, having that overtemp protection on during operation means that the unit is actively in an overtemp state. This means your unit is basically always overheating.

Tell cascade to fix the problem or DM me and we can hop on a call

3 Likes

I misspoke when I said it comes on during regular operation, what I meant to say was that it operates properly during regular operation… my b
All of our other ovens rebound fine after those flickers or flashes, it just so happens that whatever failsafe is put into place by the manufacturer to avoid these situations isn’t doing its job in this particular vac oven.

I am going to hop on a call with Cascade a little later today, and if nothing comes of it, I will definitely be in touch. Thanks again brother.
@TheGratefulPhil

2 Likes

Also big thanks to @Sidco_Cat @cyclopath @Mosaic_Co-Labs @Apothecary36

I will keep you all updated, as I try to pinpoint the issue and find a solution.

6 Likes

I’m having this same issue currently. Had a brand-new Cascade CVO 5 set to 35C. After running for a couple hours in the morning still at 35C I noticed an intense reaction and melting of my product. A secondary thermometer showed that the true temp was closer to 55-60C. Once powered off the oven still showed at 32C when the true temp was about 20C. So far then only solution I have received from their support is to recalibrate. I’ve done this several times and in the end after a couple days the variance grows again. I have used cascade ovens for about 5yrs now and never encountered a problem like this.

Has anyone found a fix? Or the cause of this issue?

1 Like

I’m no longer affiliated with Cascade.

I’m glad to try and help. Please answer the following questions:

Were you using the heat without vacuum?
Can you send me a picture of the interior of the oven so I can see the shelf placement?
What was in the oven and in what container?
How are you measuring temperature besides the display temp?
What is the ambient temp in your lab?

Check the date of original post…

@OklahomaPure has not been seen in these parts in almost three years. Pretty sure fixing that oven has fallen off their radar.

I was replying to the recent post. Glad to help of anyone needs it.

3 Likes

Please carry on.

Actually I’ve got two of the damn things that have managed to outsmart me…

Ooh! Put me in, Coach! What’s the issue? I would love to help.

Thank you for the reply! I was able to make some more progress with Cascade and am getting a new oven sent over after plenty of troubleshooting.

1 Like

Hi @Sidco_Cat. We have an AI Elite series vac oven. The PID unit turns on, goes to temp( vac oven heats up too) and then the PID completely shuts off. Think it is just the PID unit or something else causing the issue? Thanks

Edit: called omega. PID Unit seems to be issue.

I am not an expert on those ovens. Have you called Across? They are usually really helpful

I did. They dont have any technicians in CO.

Is it out of warranty? Electrical bugs are difficult to track. Can they send a new controller or tell you how to unseat and reseat it?

If you’re in CO and you need a tech to handle electrical and instrumentation troubleshooting I’m just north of Denver and offer reasonable rates

3 Likes

Out of warranty. We have the same controllers since they are the same as our filling machine. In process of retrieving the internal settings to input into the other controller. We have disassembled the vac and controller already. I realized you were familiar with other oven was hoping you had this issue before just to confirm it prob was controller and not something else. Sorry to bother ya.

1 Like

Might take ya up. Will DM later if need. Thanks

1 Like