Cartridge filter for my bag filters?

Hey everyone, I was wondering and trying to do some research. But how would I set up an inline cartridge filter? I currently am using #4 bag filters 25, 1, 1, in series. I have noticed a few particles in my crude and boiling flask, so I want to add a 0.5 Micron filter to my system.
Are there any 0.5 cartridge filters that would fit in my #4 bag filter units? Or am I going to need to add on a system post filter. I use Cryogenic Ethanol, centrifuge, then filtration.
On a side note, I was using a 1 micron filter with a galvanized ring, but I am switching to a company that has plastic flange ends.

You need to get a separate cartridge housing. Most bag housings won’t fit any sort of cartridge.

1 Like

Pretty sure you can get 0.5um bags.

Polyester felt also shrinks when it’s cold, so going through a 1um bag at -50C should be getting pretty close to done. If you need more depth, add celite to the last bag

1 Like

Is there any that you recommend?
I would like to be able to connect it inline via Tri-clamps, but I can convert a NPT and Tri-Clamps part.

You could get stainless housings for 4.5x10 inch cartridges, like the ones for sediment filtration in water. As long as you run a cartridge that is compatible with your solvent you should be good to go. You can get 5 or 1 micron for about 5 bucks each.

1 Like

Oh wow, the two companies that I have been working with didn’t offer 0.5 micron liquid bags. I asked why and they said they had flow rate issues.

I have been having a hard time finding ones that are for ethanol that are sub micron. Would I need to use a glass one?

clearly you failed to ask the all knowing one… :wink:

https://www.google.com/search?q=0.5micron+%234+filter+bag

I would try sediment filters for water then just check a chemical compatibility chart to be sure of their rating for ethanol. Or you could look for PTFE membrane cartridges.

Get ones from graver

1 Like

Hello Alpoch, no you will need a separate filter housing to hold the filter element. We do carry inline cartridge housings however if you prefer to use the filter/housing inline. The other way is using a “T” style filter housing where the inlet/outlet tri-clamps are on the same plain and the filter housing bell comes off to change the filter. The downside to using the inline style filter housing is you need to remove the housing from the line to change the filter. But there are many reasons to use an inline. We have both. Thanks, Greg/Heyes Filters 310-212-7777