Carbon Chem T5 & Si pH/Moisture Test

Hey, was doing some research for a friend lab I work with and had samples of T5 and Si from carbon chemistry tested for moisture and pH.

T5 pH Moisture COA 7-6-01 crop

Si pH Moisture COA 7-6-01-01 crop

Highlights are…

• T5 had a bunch of moisture in there clocking in 12.63%. Not absurdly high but it is about 57.5% more than I usually see. Disclaimer is this media is kept in a secondary container until it’s pulled for baking so this isn’t right out of the box.
  • T5 did test a bit more basic than expected at 8.85.
  • Si came in a very low moisture percentage confirming the fact that little to no dehydrating is needed.
  • Si came in spot-on as a neutral pH media.

Just sharing with the community.
Feel free to share any thoughts or reactions to this. :grin::v::clinking_glasses:

7 Likes

i know B80 has 10% moisture by content… wonder if its a clay thing? What does Luster Max come in at??

2 Likes

Most medias can absorb moisture up to 15% max

5 Likes

Yea 100% a clay thing. Current shipment of LM came in at 7.791%

2 Likes

i know your a fan of W1… you run this analysis on that too ever??

3 Likes

Interesting! Ever see anything come in that high?

1 Like

Have not tested W1 no. Will eventually though, I have small batch around here somewhere from a R&D/side by side experiment I conducted a couple months ago.

1 Like

Not yet but I know carbon and clays can if left exposed. That ph of 8 on the T5 is interesting I have a sample here from a manufacturer with those same specs

2 Likes

im wondering if this moisture can be avoided with meticulous packing techniques. im wondering if the adsorbents pick up moisture over time? Im wondering if some of the storage containers some use speed up or slow down this effect…

1 Like

I have a hunch by the time it gets to us cannabis distributors it already has the majority if not all the moisture it will ever adsorb. Pure speculation though.

2 Likes

it would be really hard to test it too… especially with the type of testing labs available… a 1% swing would certainly be within testing errors.

you all have a great day… gotta get back to work…

4 Likes

If you want to send some samples im more than happy to give it a try and give feed back

If you pack them dry in a airtight container, they will stay dry. The issue then is that you got to bake tons of material yourself, and pack them fast (or in controlled atmosphere). Because they naturally come with the 5-15% of surface water, depending on composition.

4 Likes

Yea you are right. Contrary to my belief, the clays take a while to adsorb back the moisture after baking.
Its a surface exposure situation just like how distillate oxidizes from the exposed surface out.