Canndle

I’ve been wanting to do it for years and have seen it discussed here a few times, but I finally made a candle from the wax left over after winterizing crude. Following the directions from a candle-maker friend, I heated the wax to over 100C for 25 minutes, and I’m going to let it cure for a week.

I’m thinking next time I might add the wax to a beaker of boiling water, then let it cool and skim it off the top before heating it again to remove any residual moisture. I’m thinking that might help with the color since the boiling water should in theory grab some of the pigmentation.

21 Likes

If you added a ratio of organic white beeswax to it you could significantly lighten the color as well

7 Likes

We keep beeswax on hand in the lab so I might try that next time. The waxes were almost white before I melted them down.

1 Like

If you want white wax you can distill the crude fat cake in a spd or wfe.

5 Likes

Letting the wax cool more before pouring should help with cracking. That’s really cool

3 Likes

There’s got to be a good use for so these waxes and lipids. I’ll look forward to seeing the finished product.

5 Likes

That would possibly mess up your blades if there’s an excess of sugars

3 Likes

That’s bad ass! You should try adding terps or flavors for aromas if it doesn’t mess with the consistency

6 Likes

Like these terps I distilled from Love & Gratitude sauce? Smells like cantaloupe.

5 Likes

Do you have any parameters you can recommend for short path?

Yea or pg based flavors perhaps

2 Likes

Cannadle

What do you think of the name

2 Likes

I would like to try one of these candles if it smells good. Could be good for warding bugs and neighbors off.

I’ve done this for nearly two years straight on a chem tech, which I guess is technically a roller, with no adverse results. I can probably dig up pictures of the final result too if interested. Once upon a time, to avoid using excess ethanol during winterization, we would distill twice, winterize, then distill thrice more.

Additionally, dha and epa are distilled on wfes and both are fatty acids.

3 Likes

Distill using THC distillate parameters.

If you distill unwiterized crude it comes out like this (implying that both fat and THC/CBD codistill)

Edit: I guess the question then remains, what is your feedstock from BHO or EtOH? If it’s BHO sugar isn’t going to be an issue. If it’s EtOh, then I have no clue because I did my experiment sets on BHO derived waxes.

4 Likes

Well chit. I thought it was bad for the wiper. I know sugars will do some damage. Glad I learned a little something, wipers aren’t my expertise

6 Likes

Again I’ve only done this on a roller-like system, not a true wiper like a VTA, pope or Chinese special. It may wear down scrapers or wipers.

Also also, since it’s fat & sugar a LLE prior to distillation would remedy sugar build up.

2 Likes

I used to distill before winterizing, but I’m preferring the results from my methanol SOP now. Didn’t know if distilling the waxes by themselves would be much different than a crude process.

1 Like

Sugars and gums will definitely fuck a wiper up.

1 Like

HP sauce is the truth