Cannabis Tissue Culture

Maize was pretty hard to figure out, and I believe it took several labs and more than 20 years to get it to the point where most labs could get most of their strains to regenerate. And that was with folks mostly sharing data with each other. Although there was definitely a lot of unpublished corporate work as well. I haven’t looked at in almost 10 years, and I’m not certain what percentage of cultivars are trivially regenerated at this point. The general consensus as I recall it was that once you have some strains regenerating, getting your favourite strain into culture was just a matter of time (and figuring out the conditions). I’ve known several technicians that seemed to have above average success. The one I followed most closely was pretty sure her success had to do with the actual cells she chose to transfer, as much as when she transferred them. She said the competent cells looked different to to her. I believe she managed to convey this difference to the PhD she was working for, and made such a difference to the program that she got a masters out of it.

1 Like

Tried it a few years ago. Basically gives you clones so why not just clone. Only ever used it to save a strain.

2 Likes

Problems with contamination for tissue culture is a massive problem. Facilities with an overall clean regiment and rat trap rooms have seen to have the highest level of success. Furthermore having nonporous walls are a key for this as well.
I know Oregon is beginning Tissue Culture however I do not know if they have job openings. Tissue culture is incredibly useful for states like Michigan. They recently made a thing where tissue culture does not count on plant count, and a license is 1500 plants. Therefore having a tissue culture lab for that state is pivotal. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Here’s a step by step on items needed, methods and other instructions for cannabis specific tissue culture propagation from a scientist in Europe. Really detailed instructions… starting on page 27 for methods etc.

11 Likes

Is it possible to summon Pharmer Joe here @cyclopath? No one else has brought up synthetic seeds

3 Likes

you mean as in @Pharmer_Joe?

3 Likes

It’s how you buffer. You can utilize a sterile environment with total control to slowly bring up the explant’s immune system before transfer. Aeroponics and some forms of deep water culture can be utilized for buffering

2 Likes

and as it happens I ran in to her last night on my way back from the Emerald Cup…

3 Likes

I haven’t read any of this thread yet. But, after I’m done, or feel I’m done with extraction, full time. I plan on digging into tissue culture and build a genetic bank for myself and associates

4 Likes

I knew you’d be in here. Not even realizing it was your thread.

Hahaha I posted a while ago. Glad more people are reading it now :). Thanks Dred for the love brother

3 Likes

I thought about starting up a cryo TC genetic preservation lab up here in New England but I wasn’t sure there was many people that would be interested in cryopreservation of their genetics.

4 Likes

you kidding? preserving genetics is a great use of TC. especially in cannabis where true breeding strains that can be stored as seed are the exception rather than the rule.

one could argue against tissue culture for producing massive fields of identical plants (dangers of mono-cropping etc), but it’s pretty hard to find fault with preserving genetics.

I’ve had a couple of groups approach me wanting that service.

5 Likes

Coupled with Dna sequencing and building a library with certs for every strain that can be back checked years down the road as to their authenticity etc. Similar to how pedigrees and dna mapping works with dog breeding. I was just spit balling ideas one night. A few cryo freezers, flash freezing methods similar to what sperm banks utilize.

1 Like

The problem like sperm cryopreservation is that not all samples take well to the freezing process. Or are Hardy enough to undergo the process.

1 Like

Phylos has been gathering much of that data. so with a quick sequence check you could probably confirm not only strain ID, but likely heritage.

yeah, I worked next to the lab at Berkeley sequencing the canine genome once upon a time. it was amusing to see them walking their great dane and their chihuahua (and several others in between) out on the quad every day.

Sequence it all, and let GOD figure it out! (Gigs of Data :wink: )

4 Likes
1 Like

Tissue culture was a massive money sink for the company I work for. Our tissue culturist worked for almost 2 years, albeit in a less than ideal lab, and pretty much had nothing to show for it in the end. Just a bunch of rotting material in test tubes and deformed cuttings. It was only a show piece for potential investors. Meanwhile, people in other departments get paid squat to do insane amounts of work. I guess I’m not sure where I’m going with this… But the moral of the story is if you are going to attempt TC, have a bonafide laboratory.

5 Likes

I was thinking of getting into this and having a strain bank of sorts. I have 17 strains in my personal garden already. And have about 25 clients who would like me to start it also.

6 Likes

I say that might be enough to get you started. 25 ~ groups needing multiple fresh propagations a couple times a year. Do you know what it would retail to the growers for, as in each plant.

2 Likes