Cannabis Lab 101: Cannabinoid Separation Methods in the Public Domain

Everything you need to know

https://www.laboverflow.com/blog/cannabinoid-separation-methods-in-the-public-domain-everything-you-need-to-know

5 Likes

Holy smokes! That’s a lot!

@onedabbitch check this out

2 Likes

Yeah finding actual hplc potency methods is definitely pretty easy. Vendors shove them in your face. The tricky part of potency analysis is a high throuput extraction of the flower that does not vary from day to day or analyst to analyst.

As to lab to lab variation… So many potential reasons for that, both honest and dishonest (potency juicing). But if the state is running a tight program, there should be a requirement to conduct proficiency testing (PT) where the lab has to test a sample of known potency (known by the PT provider but not the lab) then send in the results for comparison and be within a certain range (±20%) of the known potency. If there is no PT testing, then yeah it is wild west.

If you’re looking for a lab you can trust, try asking for their most recent potency PT results. Might rub them the wrong way so be nice about it.

4 Likes

Any lab you can actually trust should be proud of those results. If they ruffle, walk.

4 Likes

True they should be proud of em. Just depending on how you ask, might come off as “I don’t fucking trust you because I assume all cannabis labs are shifty”. And they may not be deserving of that assumption. Something like “I’m doing my due diligence and can I please see your last PT results” might get you somewhere more better like.

Or more to the point… Definitely don’t treat the lab staff like how some people treat each other on this forum.

5 Likes

^^ THIS

I explain it like if you’ve ever seen the Great British Baking show. They give you the recipe but don’t tell you the technique or perimeters. This is a great resource to start but it takes context in order to safely apply.

3 Likes

I’ll never forget my very first PT and jumping for joy telling everyone lol … I’m still very proud but I felt like a kid winning a race

2 Likes

Any lab will disclose at least part of their validation method… If they gotz nothin to hide

1 Like