Cannabis derived terpenes vs non-cannabis derived terpenes

So you’re working with CBD?

Correct.

I have Floraplex diluent and a few of their terps (strawberry cough, sour diesel, gelato). Do you think the diluent at 15% creates any harsh or unpleasant burning sensations, or is it just the flavored terps?

20% botanicals sounds pretty harsh. If you want to go that high, hemp/canna terps are the way. Remember that terps are thinner than c8 which is thinner than mct, which is thinner than pg. A cart that is 20% terps will be watery

8 Likes

Nose burn, throat irritation, rig level coughing, all of these can be felt with botanicals. 10% is a sweet spot most have experienced.

Your hardware is the most important factor. How big are your intake holes and how many are there on the coil?

5 Likes

Yea I’ve noticed some throat/nose burn for sure, but thought it was maybe from too much of the flavored terps, not necessarily the diluent.

I’m hoping to try the hemp terps from columbiabeneficial soon as well.

Right now I have a few different carts. The Itsuwa V9 with 4 x 1.2mm is the mainstay. I also have ALD’s 1003, 1006 and another number which I forget. They have larger holes, 4 x 1.6 or so.

I know I can use MCT, but I’m really trying to stay away from it.

If the distillate I have is in fact .39% as indicated on the COA, technically that falls into the legal grey area territory I guess (.3% can be interpreted as anything up to but not exceeding .39999%) so 10% cut would be fine. The only remaining issue would be whether or not it solidifies in the cart.

The other batch of disty I have is .55% and seems very stable at room temp. Has not crystallized at all. I believe they short pathed it twice (first round wasn’t as clean as they wanted). So that batch would absolutely need a bigger cut.

Depending on the hardware. The hardware I know doesn’t need above 10%.

15% is too harsh for my taste with fake strain blends. But I’m not sure how each brand differs, if they do. The ones we use do not have diluent in them.

2 Likes

Cbd often needs diluent. Isolate almost always needs diluent. Best mix i found was 1/9 Triethyl citrate/c8 caprillic acid.

Your current recipie looks good for the hardware you are running. Those v9s can run almost any viscosity.

2 Likes

Even 30% diluent will make your cbd still crystallize.
With cannabis derived terpenes you can go up to 50% if u wanted, the same harsh or burn doesnt apply to cannabis derived. People are puttinf their High Terpene portion of their sauce into their carts, they test in pretty high for terpene content.
Also the diluent from floraplex doesnr cause any harshness, the harshness will come from the food grade terpenes from my experience. My partner is more sensitive then me, but if i go over 8% food grade terpenes he will sneeze with every hit.

6 Likes

You said buy the best raw cut on amazon, I’m trying to understand what product your talking about,
I haven’t seen raw cut Terpene

You can buy a few brands of steam stilled hemp essential oils on amazon. You get what you pay for is what I found there.

1 Like

Do you have access to real Cannabis derived Terpenes?

1 Like

Yes and no. We don’t do small sales yet, 40ml minimum. Tasting is done in person, we’ve penned our top notch oil using our preferred hardware.

It will add $5-6/g to a product. But this is craft cannabis essential oil (not steam still).

This isn’t just a product for us. This is a movement toward honest, craft cannabis oil for the community. We look to help create high-end products that resemble flavors in great wine, not soft drink blends. There are plenty of those to go around.

I’ll update our progress on this forum and on my IG.

17 Likes

As everyone else has said the burnt nose , harsh, throat burning, comes from the botanical terpenes. Anything over 10% is going to be very unpleasant to smoke, and even 10% is quite high in my experience.

You can use the HTE from a live resin pour to mix with distillate and make carts. However at that point why not just make live resin carts?

Currently cannabis derived terpenes are not commercially economical, yet.

I wanna see these. How will you get around the shipping hurdle?

You hit the nail on the head. Why can I terp cannabis terpenes at not botanicals at 10%. Because the former is an essential oil with ingredients that modulate the terpenes therein.

They’re not commercially viable for every product. It’s a numbers game. 10% THC in trim, 0.3% essential oil doesn’t get you there. There’s not enough Napa grapes for the entire wine industry either. So go vertical or make a limited run, high end SKU with clean, clear oil.

2 Likes

By not selling piecemeal until the law catches up. It’s best to keep the batch together since it creates a unique product that only one brand carries. The first batch we did went all to one firm, who is selling this better product at a mark-up. Customers are very satisfied from what I hear.

Lower quality, non-type I, hemp essential oils are paving the way toward ending shipping problems. Prohibition won’t last forever, especially if medicinal benefits are found using these oils. I put my trust in the growers who love this plant. Makes my job in creating an amazing product easy.

This is a vision, and a passion, not a way to make a quick buck. I’m in this for the long haul.

I think there needs to be more honesty when using fake blends. People will like the flavors in and of themselves; no need to give them fake names. Keep at it and there will be an “Emperor has no clothes” comeuppance for this chicanery. May as well get ahead of it before the cannabis appellation movement exposes it on a grand scale.

10 Likes

I have cannabis derived Terpenes. They are very valuable and we do very well with them

7 Likes

I appreciate all the replies, and definitely can understand where people like drjackhughes is coming from. Still, at risk of oversimplification, it seems that once the knowledge is available, the source will not be distinguishable by end product, assuming as well that the blend is replicated accurately.

I understand it may be a long time until that is a possibility, so I currently appreciate the cannabis based terpene blends. However, with progression of legalization, I’m not sure that day is all that far off.

When they can get strawberry and banana right, maybe there’s a chance. Pipette jockey away. Don’t forget the labelings that protect things like Champagne. There’s an a terroir/appellation movement in Cannabis as well. I say be honest with what’s fake and real. If they taste the same let the consumer choose.

4 Likes

What’s a good source for canna terp? Im using mass terpenes now they have very little to offer.