Cannabis derived terpenes vs non-cannabis derived terpenes

at the molecular level a pure terpene extracted from a grape and one extracted from cannabis are the exact same… the difference that most people claim is not the pure terpene it is the other things you get with the terpene extracting from cannabis… if one was to isolate individual terpenes from cannabis then reblend them to mimic a profile. it would be the same as ones made from natural plants.
hopefully this helps people understand.

3 Likes

Except that the minor terpenoid, non-terpene and rare terpenes (not commercially available) seem to make the difference. If we could synthesize these (the correct enantiomer/diasteromers) and add the others in small proportion it might just work.

6 Likes

In order to accomplish a complete remade blend it would be necessary to identify more compounds then are currently identified, to my understanding. No one seems to know with any certainty what exactly constitutes the stereotypical skunky weed smell. This is why every botanical blend smells like anything but cannabis. Some are playing with thiols, and I had it suggested that butanethiol is the main culprit, but I have yet to see any gc/ms or any similar analysis of a cannabis product show any thiols. Of course, I am no expert and am open to learn, and would love to see lab testing that shows anything that we would describe as “skunky”. There is a very interesting article about comparing compounds that occur in cannabis between it’s volumetric % and it’s perceived odor impact in headspace after various amounts of time and through different packaging or bare on its own. Basically, the more we learn, the more we learn we still need to learn

9 Likes

Also what are b-lonene and nectanyl and why can I find no info on them online??
Curious about the 16.556 too. Got a name for that mountain?

2 Likes

I had something I had to pay to have disposed of. I can look it up 4 u if you want but I think it was mercaptoacetic acid or something

3 Likes

I thought that was the butanethiol?

Im mostly curious to see a test showing a thiol occuring in cannabis. Im 110% sure there are some in there, I just want to know which ones, and a test I can point to to show others what the skunk smell in cannabis is exactly

3 Likes

Your cannabis-derived essential oils should look something like this when done in the most gentle fashion, using QUALITY inputs. Currently sitting on several thousand ml of strain-specific varieties, sourced from our own garden. There is NO COMPARISON between the two… you just don’t have the same depth with botanicals.

8 Likes

Are these extracted from hemp?

1 Like

100% strain-specific, cannabis-derived my friend…

4 Likes

Got those from @anon42519203. Maybe the name is spelled wrong. We just got the new terpene column. So we’ll have better IDs (as many as cannabis labs) soon. Also we’ll be adding some of the other elements once we confirm their identities working with a GC-MS collaborator.

4 Likes

Why sitting on them? They’re time sensitive with exposure to air, light and heat. Get those puppies out the door.

2 Likes

Time and temps are surely the enemy! Currently working on deals, and open to any other reasonable offers from licensed processors within the state of Washington. So if anyone is interested hit the DMs.

They look great how are you extracting them how are you getting them so clear

2 Likes

I appreciate that!

3 Likes

So steam distilled?

just wanted to take a minute to thank for all the replies, really have learned a lot and has opened my eyes to the complexity of the plant.

4 Likes

i agree… i love all this info

4 Likes

@betroit has awesome cannabis derived terps!! They smell absolutely amazing.

4 Likes

Bro thank you so mich. I really appreciate the shout out. All the feedback has been really positive. I’m working on a new big batch of girl Scout cookies and GMO this week.
And I’m about to officially launch the website, after a little facelift and revamp. SHOULD BE DONE THIS WEEK! Thanks again. I looked at you IG , well have to link up again and talk shop
Cheers and Kind Regards,

6 Likes

Always good to meet other members and support local businesses. I can’t wait to mix some of these up tomorrow they smell so :fire::fire::fire::fire:. I’d love to hang out and talk shop sometime, just drop me a line.

4 Likes