Cannabinoid Carboxylation

As a chemist, I’d be curious to take a look at that if you’re still inclined to share…

I always purified to crystal, so honestly I’m not sure.

2 Likes

It does work, though with much lower efficiency than CBD.

1 Like

My highst cbd-a concentrate has been 81% did not cristelize at room
Did jump out of the solution frozen but not a cristal structure
Lost a ton getting it to that potency
Yust with powders and LLE

4 Likes

Carboxylation of minor cannabinoids and semi-synthetic cannabinoids is useful. Also, as other people mentioned, it’s quite easy to purify CBD at scale, not so much CBDA currently.

2 Likes

Any cart with 45 % cbd and 45% cbd-a and 5% terps will not cristelize and will not need a CUT
And will be a beautifull color
These are like perfect numbers but you catch mu drift i hope

7 Likes

It’s not hard to extract almost pure CBDA, just like THCA.

Good starting material, extracted cold. Boom, CBDA. I’ve seen 95%+ CBDA separated from a simple extraction

3 Likes

Basically it’s the comparison in cost of a large chiller to achieve almost quantitative yields or a bunch of reagents, need for experienced chemists, transfer losses, and low reaction yields.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

I. Have only been able to dream of that
My starting is polish co2 extracted crap

1 Like

Did it have color ?

Was it cristals ?

1 Like

Has anyone worked on applying this to make novel compounds like CBCA, CBNA, or d8THCA?

5 Likes

Yup, that’s where the most value lies.

Carboxylating hydrogenated cannabinoids, rotational isomers, minor cannabinoids, and/or other analogues is what’s up. CBD → CBDA is low hanging fruit due to the high yields.

9 Likes

but thc > thca is it possible?

Yes it does work, though with dramatically lower efficiency than CBD → CBDA.

4 Likes

For anyone wondering, I personally vouch for this man and his SOP.

Also, while clean CBGa may be easy to initially extract with cold hydrocarbons and crc, the industry scaled up cheap isolate. I’d argue for the ROI of toll carbing CBD isolate

10 Likes

What’s the price? Yes I’d be interested

2 Likes

White crystalline powder layer separated from orange red terp layer. Similar to THCA but didn’t grow distinct single crystals but mainly due to quick solvent removal

2 Likes

Wonder if a high cbd content strain extract could sugar with bho

1 Like

They 100% can but most don’t grow high cbd for extract due to Thc levels. The ones that do, rarely take the time to properly and gently separate flower from stem and stalk. They also rarely extract cold enough or cold at all, especially with ethanol.

Cbd plants for some reason have more high boiling point oil like compounds then Thc plants. The presence of these oils, in addition to CBDA structure, cause more resistance to crystallization than THCA. Crystallization is only seen at higher purities then with THCA due to this property.

Also fresh frozen material is much more likely to give the wanted results and that is almost nonexistent in the CBD industry. Those who’ve tried have ruined crops due to not having infrastructure to keep frozen indefinitely. Thawed and refrozen material is a decomposing shit show

4 Likes

That is true but most would only need to add chilling capacity and Alkane compatible pumps and piping.

Most ethanol extractors can be easily modified to run alkanes like pentane, hexane, or heptane. Cold alkane extraction of the right fresh frozen material will do it.

I agree that the numbers may add up but for those with cheap abundant power, converting extraction might be easier. I can recognize that smaller scale reactions likely offer a lower cost barrier to entry for most

Recarb could be really interesting to prepare CBNA and others like it