Can you store hemp biomass in Reefer Freezers?

I generally set people up with climate controlled rooms as it’s more dependable then freezers as possible condensation issues could be a nightmare.

But they want to use a -30C reefer freezer storage container to store their 5% water content biomass and hadn’t rly heard of people using these reefers before to store biomass.

Concerned about the condensation cause it’s not incredibly cold but definitely cold enough to freeze and trap moisture and dehumidify the air. But haven’t used it so didn’t feel comfortable giving them a green light on using a method I haven’t personally used.

Has anyone approached biomass storage in this way? What’s y’alls opinion?

1 Like

@qma lmao I hate you. My long titles are beautiful butterflies and they need to fly free!

3 Likes

I’d say -30C is plenty for maintaining biomass for extended periods. Some suggestions would be, maintain a consistently low %Relative Humidity (use an externally attached dehumidifier and/or plenty of dessicant packs that are switched frequently) and vacuum seal your biomass.

At that point, additional water retention due to condensation and refreezing of ambient humidity shouldn’t be a concern.

Also, sorry I never got a chance to call you back brother

Ya man way to ghost me :broken_heart:

1 Like

I sell biomass walk in freezers, generally my clients want -10f to -25f. Everyone seems to be happy with that.

1 Like

Make sure you cover your ass if something fails or the power goes out cause if/when it does things are going to get pretty soggy in there

1 Like

Word thats what I figured. Need any extra dehumidification or the freezing aspect dehumidifies the environment ?

I always build 100% redundancy in my freezers. So if one system goes out there is a complete back up system.

Freezers and refrigeration are dehumidifier by design. They remove heat, heat is humidity.

And humidity is heat. :blush:

We are in the process of offering flash freezing systems.

What? No.
Humidity is the relative number of water molecules in a system.

And, heat basically is the temperature, and is the average kinetic energy of the particles in the system. You can also use the term heat to refer to enthalpy, basically it’s a kind of energy. These two things are related, enthalpy added to system increases temperature.

When you cool a system you can condense water out of the air but that doesn’t mean humidity and temp are the same

3 Likes

Thanks for the humidity lesson. I’m not being sarcastic. I’m only saying that the freezing of biomass is safe as long as you account for equipment break downs. Redundancy is a must. :blush:

N-Packed now offers custom designed Large Format Ni​trogen Dispersion Systems for large scale cannabis and hemp biomass storage!

@Siosis, the reefer/freezer boxes include a dehumidifier.

Lmk if you’re interested in a single system that can handle curing and long term storage.