Can you link two of the same chillers together?

I just got in a trade two identical poly sci chillers that go to -10. I did a little test run with one and alone it doesn’t hold a -10 during recovery.
I was thinking about hooking them up individually and adjusting the flow psi to be the same then hooking both the outlets to a Y fitting then to the coil then back to a Y fitting to both the inlets.
Before I try this I want to hear from y’all if this is a stupid idea? I figure the worst that can happen is one chillers fluid level may get too high then I can just turn them off.
Getting a bigger chiller is out of the budget for now. If I try this I’ll share the results

1 Like

The better way to do it is by hooking a heat exchanger in line with one on the return (warm) side and the other part of the hx gets hooked to the second chiller. That way no worries about them getting out of balance and overflowing

7 Likes

Awesome idea thank you! I got a smaller hx laying around im going to try it with

I removed my origin answer because my answer was not a helpful answer. And a solution is already given.

:octopus: Sorry

Not a great idea. If the pump outlet pressures will fight against each other.

Best quick fix imo would be to place a check valve on the outlet of each chiller, this will eliminate any backflow into the chillers themselves but if one pump is more powerful than the other than one of the chillers might not flow into the circuit and the weaker pump will eventually burn out.

Why not find different places in the system to affix the chillers?

Maybe like two heat exchangers each one w a dedicated chiller?

1 Like

Thank you for your input! I definitely won’t be trying to link the hoses together now. Running them on individual condensers would probably be for the best but I need to get a second one for the cls. But for now I have all the parts on hand to do what @greenbuggy suggested. I’m just waiting on an electrician to install an outlet for the second one to try it out