Can you get iso out of extract?

Once isopropyl alcohol is in an extract can you get it out? It’s a trace amount but noticeable. I have a cls, a roto, and a short path to work w. Thanks.

1 Like

ISO should purge just fine, put it in the vac oven .

1 Like

Does it take a long time to get out? What temp? I normally do 90 degrees

1 Like

If not roto out all the moisture it’ll leave the residuals incthere no matter what. When in roto you’ll see the film start, push higher & keep going, it will dissipate. I believe I was around 120

2 Likes

some folks MAKE extract with isopropyl…

4 Likes

Quiso gang

4 Likes

Thanks I’ll let u know if it still tastes as bad.

Remember to re scrub

iso has always left a aftertaste i do not like.
i hope you figure out how to remove it.
Lrus007

What do you mean by rescrub?

Re dilute into a better solvent to clean your product up filter with media’s & pull those impurities.

1 Like

I put a lot of heat on it. Still tasted like death. If i rescrub it and it turns out bomb will that tell me it wasn’t iso residue? Like is the iso residue bonding w the thc?

No it’s just a solvent, was it 99%iso? If it wasn’t 99% pure it might have had other contaminates in it that won’t readily purge. Are you putting it in a vacuum oven? I’m not sure heat without vacuum will get it all out until your temp gets into decarb territory.

1 Like

99 iso, I heated it up and took out the sizzle aspect but it still taste horrible, but that can be a million factors. Rescrubbing it is def the next step.

Hey guys, just wanted to say excellent community!

penny from my side. Im european and its custom for us to have fullspectrums and broadspectrums mixed in oil MCT or Olive.

Been doing alot of testing with GcMS for resudual solvents lately… I MUST SAY THAT NOT EVEN ONE YET WAS EURLEX COMPLIANT (50ppm IPA, 5000ppm EtOH)other than GMP matrerials. Mostly we find numbers over 10k or even 50k for both and this is worrysome.

Myself I have been able to “burn out” the iso to 150ppm at regular oven temps of 110 degree with thin film simulation ( 5min-mixings) intervals of 45min. It took 6 intervals.

But the temperal degradation products are quite often seen( as a unwanted side effect). Since little is known about these substances( lipoxydase and peroxidase products-correct me If im wrong) I urge anyone using higher temps, wheter it be just purging or shortpath to test their extracts for such problematic derivates.

I havent had experience with vac ovens, but Im really daium sceptic of any product that is not been just a low temps decarbs and CO2 extraciton . And the scepticism has been proven right every time.

One other thing is the method for quantiyfing residual solvents. Anyone who is analysing either solvents cannabinoids and other Quality assurance parameters should try to crossreference their analytics… I know it costs money but refunds in the case of mistaken analysis are quite often…

Sorry for the wall text and hope I can learn more from you guys!

I had a client with about 200ml of strange smelling and tasting crude recently asking to do something with it. After a night in my solvent purger there was nearly 10ml of gasoline smelling liquid pulled off.

Nearly 5% of friggin gasoline in a “finished” product. But thast’s nothing. I got it tested and the results confirmed my suspicion. Someone used “universal solvent” for extraction. Basically a lowest shelve paint thinner. It costs about 10 euro for 5 liters. Funny thing is that for just 3 euro more there is extraction gasoline without aromatics (certified for benzene, xylene and toluene removed).

Friend in an analytical lab seen many extracts with DCM, methanol, IPA or ether still in 1000’s ppm range.

Greed of some people man…

1 Like

@envee

which suggests you can probably get into the correct (safe) range using your sense of taste/smell

2 Likes

You’re a mind reader, I’m currently purging as we speak.