Can We Talk CoCo?

Curious to what brand coco you guys recommend. I’m going to make the move from promix/perlite but I hear all coco isn’t created equal. Whatcha guys have to say?

anything with an RHP stamp should be good

-Canna
-Cyco
-Char Coir

Used to grow in FibreDust coco back in the day. Went through tons of it at work growing tomatoes, two plants about fifteen feet tall in each 3 gallon grow bag, irrigated hourly, drain to waste, in a greenhouse about 60x180 feet. Used a lot of their one meter slabs that are really similar to using a wrapped rockwool slab in a smaller greenhouse to grow peppers and squash. At home, I used the three gallon grow bags for each outdoor plant that I kept in my yard. Never had a problem with salt build up and the consistency was always great. I always used GH flora series, soluble silicate, humic acid, a touch of molasses, and Floralicious with great results, about a qp each plant of flame, no larf or popcorn. Never really had any problems with fungus gnats in FibreDust, but I have with some of the cheap coco I have tried from Walmart.

2 Likes

Im in love with canna coco.
I got it da low low
(Not really lol i dont grow)

Mother earth was great for me. Coco loco did good to. There was something kinda different with the medium though. Mother earth seemed to be more airy and fluffy. Personal preference.

botanicare seems to be the cheapest and coarsest variety i can find. 5kg bricks are like 8 bucks. i run my system without any plants for a few days just to wash out the medium and buffer it before i put plants in.

1 Like

I know people who kill it with
Canna
Cyco
H&G
Char Coir

I think the more important thing is what nutes, how much calmag and of course how often do you flush or reset the medium. Build up is a real thing. Enzymes, dripclean, florakleen? Also I know straight coco and tribus microbes is a killer combo.

I really like coco because of its ability to hydrate evenly like a sponge and there is just something about how the roots grow in all of it vs how they do in soil

How about dry downs? Do you feed while its wet? Do you wait a day? 5x a day in a 1 or 2 gallon?

So many ways to grow with it.

2 Likes

I really prefer sterilized. Didn’t know there was a difference until growing mushrooms. Lesson learned.

I honestly did not feel safe watering everyday until mid flower. I watered a smaller plant the same as I did the bigger ones and caused a nute lockout. So I was on a every 2 days for most of my run. I work alot and watering is something I dread so I went back to soil for a few runs. Might look into an auto drip system if I do coco again.

Canna coco is fire both indoors and outdoors for us… love that stuff! Feels impossible to overwater, handles rain very well, good retention on hot days, and the roots seemed to be very happy all year round. We water 3-5x per day on hot days outdoors, 1-3x per day indoors. Great drainage - we skipped the layer of clay pebbles as recommended on the bag.

4 Likes

Thanks guys!.. I’ve settled on the Botanicare bricks and H&G Coco nutes. Tried a bag of B’Cuzz and damn I didn’t realize I had to rinse it lol, ppm’s were at 1400! Quick flush and I got it down though. I’m absolutely loving this coco!!! I’m able to be on top of everything as it’s happening! I am at 3x watering’s per day and I am soo ready for my irrigation supplies to get in, building an auto watering system now. I’ll get some pics up when all installed as it’s gonna be a cool setup with solenoid valves and irrigation controllers.

1 Like

Curious as to your opinions…

I started some seeds in peat/perlite but would like to be in all coco. Does anyone see a problem with transplanting solo cups of peat into coco?

1 Like

no problem at all. we’ve transplanted peat, perlite, peat/perlite, coco/perlite, rockwool, etc etc etc… coco loves it all… one thing worth noting, the canna coco doesn’t hold salts like botanicare - so there’s that… noticeably more flushing with botanicare from nute build up and that’s saying something because the plants photoed are at 1.0 ec in flower

1 Like

I too use a timed valve injection setup… it rocks. everything is controlled from my phone. I can water 5000 plants on a hot day from my couch… it took some time to build out but it works flawless. automate as much as you can so you can focus on scaling your business.

2 Likes

Your plants speak a million words. Praying to the sun god so hard those stems are about to break. I just want to put a chair right in the middle and just stare into the sky.

1 Like

I’ve only used botanicare indoors where it gets watered every 2 hrs dtw never had salt buildup except in the beginning when feedings stretch once a week to get the roots to go.root bound. I.flush during this time

1 Like