Can there be too much terps?

So the company I work for has a joint infusion machine (Jinko) and the employers (brads and chads) have requested we up the terpene levels. We started at 5-7% terpenes but now we are up to 10-15% terpenes.

These are artificial botanical terps that have Candy Flavors. ( Strawberry, Lemon, Orange and Watermelon)

The second you pop the doob tube it smells like candy.

Is there such thing as too much terp?

I feel these are becoming poisones. When lit and smoked there is a thick black smoke that appears time and time again.

Am I just a purest?

Seems to me that you probably are a not a purest if you thought 5-7% terps added to your flower was pure. :slight_smile:

Is it possible that you are creating a product that could potentially harm consumers - yes. Does anyone know that for certain yet, probably not. Could you reach out to your local state regulators and ask them to step in and limit the amounts of these things, sure.

The FDA has already started doing this for e-cigs all over the place and many states are following suit.

I’d like to think that at some point your consumers will do that for you anyway. Either by complaining or by stopping buying the product. Especially if its unpleasant to consume.

I’m always one for mentioning this to the people I work with. And I combine that with a question regarding people being quite silly - that’s double the terpenes which is probably double the cost (unless you managed to simultaneously reduce the price of the terp juice…)

Why do they want to increase costs? Terps don’t get people high - so its just the smell and maybe the flavor, but that would really depend on the user experience.

Are they not aware of other ways to make the tube smell nice? There are papers and what not that are infused this way. And there are filters that are infused this way - so the smell/flavor is there, but they don’t burn so then there’s not as much black smoke.

Or you could always consider that they are (brads and chads…) who don’t know anything about anything and someone (perhaps a vendor of terpenes?) is telling them to increase the amount to sell more units.

Maybe they have market data saying people like black smoke and candy flavored prerolls?

Maybe they did a whole series of scientific shelf life studies that show that terpenes evaporate at room temperature… and that in order to maintain a minimum amount (say… 3%) after sitting on the shelf for 6 months they have to start them out MUCH higher.

Who knows. I’m all for being transparent with the people I work with. Helping them understand the why behind the things I ask them to do. And challenging them to ask me questions.

Maybe they were just trying to provoke a conversation with you and others on your team.

Who knows. :slight_smile:

Seems to me that infused prerolls isn’t the purest thing… since its not just flower. But then I might be a flower vaping hippie. :wink:

3 Likes

I realized I didn’t write that I don’t enjoi these infused prerolls. They are distillate infused with high terps.

I also don’t think that 5% or more terps is a good start. I think there should be no added anything.

I prefer my joint to only have cannabis flower in them; every now and again I’ll add some rosin.

I have raised my concerns to both my lab manager and these brads and chads and was told to keep quite. They are trying to market to soccer moms and non smokers.

The employer said he has been chain smoking these infused prerolls and that he wants higher terp % because he is loosing the flavor after the 4th joint.

I plan on taking this up the chain of command further and maybe reaching out to the ccc to see if this is a problem. In Massachusetts all flavored nicotine and other vapes have been banned and made illegal.

Does it being a cannabis product change thise laws?

1 Like

so how long have you worked for Jeeters
Italics but not really

4 Likes

Thats just gross. I guess moon rocks still exist so there always a place

1 Like

I’m 3 years at this spot. We have only been making these high terps prerolls for 2 or 3 months. It’s a new project but one I don’t enjoi putting my name on.

1 Like

I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about you can never have too much cowbells… I mean terps.
And besides only thing black smokes means is that there isn’t a new pope at the moment.

All joking aside, I don’t smoke but I can’t imagine anyone that likes to smoke actual cannabis is not reading this and dry heaving just a bit.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with being a purest, those are the ones that make the best products in my experience.

This would be the ONLY reason that would be acceptable in my eyes to start the prerolls off at 10-15% terps. We’ve R&D terp prerolls before and you actually have to be careful. I light one up one time in the 12% range that had just been done and it went up in flame and started dripping terps out of the end.

100% Correct

Even if they’re right about this MASSIVE assumption if there telling you to keep quiet about legitimate safety concerns I’d say it’s time to start looking for another job. Best of luck and keep doing what you’re doing!!

2 Likes